It's Getting Really Old

JJJ

JJJ - You're right, it isn't going to be Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD). That is an extreme result from extreme circumstances early in life.

But there are other forms of attachment issues - someone else used the term "insecure attachment", meaning not unattached, but not as well attached as would be healthy. Many people make it through life like this, but if you're a difficult child and life presents extra challenges... sometimes it takes extra effort to maintain and/or re-establish a healthy attachment. And the things it takes to do that, are counter-intuitive - definitely not what you would do for a typical teen with an attitude.

I completely agree.

JJJ

That's what I thought, JJJ. And he was with his grandparents. I worked part time at that time and on the days that I worked who did difficult child stay with? My in-laws. It wasn't like I left him for two weeks with people who let him sit there. It's just the only thing that I could think of that would relate to Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD).

He has an appointment with the therapist tonight. We'll see how it goes.

His own issues could cause problems with his ability to securely attach to you. As InsaneCdn said, there are levels of attachment. While I would strongly recommend against googling Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) and its treatments, there are some things you can do to improve his attachment. Hopefully his therapist can help with this.