Janie??? Nz!! Check in please

Star*

call 911........call 911
Janie? I can't remember where you moved to on the N. island.

Please check in. I saw the news that said Christ Church New Zeland was rocked by a 6.2 earthquake. We're all praying that you and everyone you know are safe and sound!

Hugs and Love - The Kiwi
Sis

Marguerite

I remember 'talking' to Janie, I'm fairly sure she is not from Christchurch. We were there for a few days four years ago and made some friends in Christchurch. Last September when they had that 7.3 quake, we worried about our friends and a month later, heard from them. They were OK but had a lot of damage. We have been asked to not try to make contact at the moment because communications are so tight. Text messages only if possible, we were told. Power is out in a lot of places so even if people are OK, they can't let others know. We are waiting to find out how our friends are, hoping they're OK because this quake is a little further away from them than the last one was.

So many sad stories. A child care centre is in the middle of a collapsed building. Last I heard, the parents have been told to not expect their children back alive. State of emergency has been declared, to make it easier to get the help coordinated. Aussie government and aid organisations have sent planeloads of people and equipment over and even the media have been helping - an Aussie woman rang one of our media networks on her mobile phone, said she was stuck under her desk. Got under the desk when the quake began, then her building collapsed. Her phone is now dead, it's 24 hours later and they have not found her yet.

For us Aussies, there is a tight link with NZ. It's hard to give a comparison, maybe it is a bit like the closer connection you have between the US and Canada, although I think it's more like Alaska and the rest of the US.

The liquefaction that happened is now resulting in some buildings sinking and still collapsing. Where this is happening on top of fallen buildings with trapped people, it is hampering rescue efforts. Three hundred people are still missing.

If Janie is on North Island, she is safe from this quake. The damage is restricted to the Canterbury region, it's the sticky out bit on the east halfway down on South Island. It sticks out, because it's connected to an old volcano. The region is a mix of silt overlaying unstable geology. All that silt (from the very high mountains undergoing constant uplift) is what makes the Canterbury region so fertile agriculturally, and Christchurch was built to capitalise on this. While earthquakes do happen fairly often in NZ, ones this bad are unusual. A lot of the buildings that have come down have endured many quakes in the past 100 years or more and not fallen. Some buildings have come down, that were considered safe. One collapsed building was occupied by businesses that had been moved from an unsafe building after September. The 'unsafe' building is still standing!

Here's hoping Janie will check in.

I remember in the lead up to Katrina, we had a member in New Orleans who was telling us what they had done to prepare, and what they would be doing. Her husband was at the levees, she said, and she would be hopefully in the evac centre. But we have never heard from her since. I'm hoping she is OK but had to get her life started again, and maybe just lost her computer with passwords, ID etc.

But sometimes we just don't ever know.

Marg

Star*

call 911........call 911
Marg,

She used to live on South Island - (lovely place started with a P) - but recently got married, and moved. I can't for the life of me find her new address. I have spent the better 1/2 of my day tearing my office apart trying to find the address then remembered she never gave it to me - we've emailed pictures and she's been so busy honeymooning - we never got back - and I can't find the email she sent me either I thought it may have the town name. I've been frazzled all day over it.

janie

New Zealand
Hi Everyone,

It's Janie here.

Just a VERY quick post as I am in the midst of doing my Victim Support work. I have to race off shortly to visit with a local client.
As well as having my local clients here in New Plymouth - (which is in the North Island of NZ - we didn't feel the earthquake this time - however, we DID feel the one in September!), I have now got clients in Christchurch to give (phone) support to - as the VS workers down there have too many clients to be able to deal with. This is mainly to support people who have loved ones who are "missing" - a very scary situation to be in given how many buildings have been significantly damaged.
At this stage around 70 people have been confirmed dead - and 300 or so are "missing".

Thank you for all your support.
Please pray/send positive thoughts to the people of New Zealand - in particular the people of Christchurch.

This earthquake is an absolute tragedy for NZ. As Marguerite said there was a big quake in Sept last year - however THIS quake was only 10 km from the centre of Christchurch City - and was only 5 kilometres deep - it was very violent.

The news footage is heartbreaking to watch.
If anyone wishes to check out NZ news there are a couple of sites I can recommend:

www.stuff.co.nz

www.tvnz.co.nz

There is lots more I would love to be able to say - but time prevents me.
Please just keep NZ in your good thoughts.

We are very grateful for all the help coming from within NZ and around the world. Australia has been amazing :)

p.s. Star* I thought about phoning you - but it is midnight in your Country - and I figured you wouldn't appreciate a wakeup call at that time! - I will try to call you on your Wednesday :)

Star*

call 911........call 911
Janie,

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR CHECKING IN - I've been watching every bit I can see on the news here. It's awful, heartbreaking. Between what's been going on in Australia, and now NZ - that side of the world is certainly getting our added prayers. SO SO Glad you are well and safe!

Hugs & Love
Star

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Glad you are safe Janie!! Holding good thoughts and praying hard for those affected by this quake. I rarely watch news.......but watched a considerable amount of coverage on it this evening. When they showed the gentleman who's wife was missing.....and he finally reached her via cellphone, she is alive but buried in a classroom.......rescuers had not reached them yet. But his relief at just knowing she was alive had me bawling like a baby and husband tearing up.

(((hugs)))

Marguerite

Thanks for checking in, Janie. I just said to Star (PM) that I find it odd that Christchurch cops this, when I thought it was less active than a lot of other parts of NZ especially North Island. We spent time in Taupo and went to the Volcano Centre there, actually saw a quake registering while we were there - White Island. I think it was 3.8.

Thanks for those links. I'll be checking them out.

Marg

busywend

Thank goodness you are safe. Sending prayers out to all the people trapped and to the people that have lost loved ones.

Hugs to you as I am sure it is very emotional for your entire country.

janie

New Zealand
Thanks for your messages everyone.

Yes Marguerite - it IS really unusual for this to happen in Christchurch. It doesn't normally have much noticeable seismic activity (pretty much everywhere in NZ has SOME seismic activity - just not major tremors that have happened over the past 5 months!)

My Mother grew up in Christchurch - and they hardly ever had earthquakes back then.

I grew up in Wellington - and earthquakes were something that happened on a fairly regular basis - not major like this one though.

My Mother cannot believe what she is seeing on television - the destruction of her beautiful hometown :(
The rescuers are doing an amazing job - so there is still some hope for more survivors.

I have had to contact several new clients (for the Crisis work I do) down in Christchurch .... there are some very sad situations ..... :(
It makes me grateful for my "easy" life.

New Zealanders are VERY thankful for all the help that is coming in from around the world (especially all the incoming experienced Search and Rescue workers).

Thanks everyone.