Just found "by accident" that V has a Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) diagnosis ???

Ktllc

As I'm diging to solve this insurance problem, I called the waiver who manages the mental health and developmental disability of medicaid and other state funds.
I explained the situation to the lady on the phone and her first questions were about V's diagnosis. To get an idea if he would qualify for their help once his loses his insurance. Si I name what I was told: anxiety, speech delay, sensory processing disorder (SPD) and Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD).
She says it sounds like V would qualify but she pulled out his information on her computer and she read that V has the Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) diagnosis, which falls under Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD).
Why on earth I am not aware that V has this diagnosis???
It's the weekend and I have a million question: who gave him the diagnosis? Does he still need to be evaluated by the university/research program? If he has the diagnosis already, maybe he could benefit from their services right away. How about the impact on the school??
I find it really odd to learn this kind of info by accident.
It's like everyone has been tip-toeing around it but it is already written black on white somewhere.
How do I find out who gave him the diagnosis? I wonder if his current social worker can find out.
Have you ever heard of such an absurde situation?:didimiss:

T

TeDo

It IS rather strange but take it!!! I would still have the other testing done if you can because yes, he's "already" on the spectrum but it could be more severe than Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) or it could be something else that mimics it. Take what you can with the info you have now. I remember having this happen to us but can't remember what it was or even what kid but your story struck an "ah ha" chord with me. With insurance, they HAVE to have a diagnosis code to get paid. Someone put that down for billing but since you don't have it in any of your paperwork, you need to have an "official" report stating it. Glad someone else is thinking the same thing you are. Hopefully this will open some doors. You should be able to ask whoever told you that in the first place, the waiver person.

TerryJ2

Yes, it IS strange, but I agree, take it, because insurance should cover a lot of interventions.
I've learned through the years to take whatever diagnosis pays the most. Cynical but true.

DammitJanet

This reminds me of how I found out about my borderline diagnosis. It had been there for a long time but no bothered to inform me...the patient!

BusynMember

Many doctors are reluctant to "freak out" certain parents. I have no idea why, but some feel it is kinder to withhold the diagnosis for that reason.

Take it and consider it a gift. V is the same child he was yesterday, but he needs a lot of interventions. Now the insurance should pay for them. Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) and Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) are more "iffy both for insurance companies AND school.

I have a question. Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) alone...I didn't think it was a diagnosis. Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified is a diagnosis in the DSM. Is THAT what it said?

Ktllc

I have not seen the document, the lady on the phone was reading the various diagnosis and she read "developmentally delayed" and "pervasive developmental disorder" but I am guessing it was written Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified. She probably wanted to speak in clear language fo me?
I will call her back and ask if it says who gave those diagnosis.
Like you guys have said, it might make intervention much easier and might be a ticket for V getting the waiver and services paid for.
At least it proves that I'm not crazy. There is indeed something quite different about V.