Just sharing an unusal comment

DDD

difficult child#1 came home yesterday and told me about his day. Included in the info was "Oh, by the way, I ran into xyz at the grocery store." (xyz was his PO and is a nice normal guy, by the way) Then he added "he asked me how I was doing and I told him I 'was maintaining'". I wonder if "maintaining" is something he learned in his s.a. programs? That is not a term we have ever used at home and his pals don't use big words, lol. Have you guys heard it in rehab? Just thought it was curious. DDD

susiestar

Roll With It
The main context I have heard that term used is in terms of a methadone or suboxone program for those getting over opiate addiction. I have learned more than I ever cared to about that thanks to exsil. Around here there are a lot more AA/AlAnon meetings than NA/narcanon, so the meetings are more "drug of choice" than saying "alcohol" or "drugs". Most people at meetings who say they are "maintaining" are meaning that they are on a methadone or suboxone program and are taking their medications and doing therapy and meetings as required by the program.

I don't know if this is universal. I don't know if that is a term that is getting into wider usage. And of course we do have words like "y'all" around here to.

Mattsmom277

That phrase is quite common around here. Here it could easily be used in terms of addiction but also about anything or even just life in general. For example, if someone asked how I was doing with my MS I could say I am maintaining. Meaning I am holding my own, struggling but coping / managing the disease.

I don't tend to use that phrasing but i hear it quite often. I would assume from the context of the conversation he shared that he meant it as above.

klmno

I use the term- when I say it, it's to say "I'm hanging in there" in terms that maybe aren't so 'slang'. It can be pertaining to anything and has nothing to do with sa.

DDD

Interesting. I'm assuming it means he isn't "backsliding" but isn't "moving forward" either. That appears to be what is status is the last year or so. Sounds a bit healthier than some other responses. DDD