Lenny is sick ....

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I hadn't gotten around much the last couple of days. Lenny was acting weird Wed a.m. I didn't think much of it other than his eyes were kind of glassy. Then he didn't eat or drink that morning or the night before.

Kind of worried ... made an appointment with the vet to have him checked out for yesterday. I had to run kt for tutoring on Wed afternoon & Lenny of course tagged along. Stopped into the office of risk management SW to sign papers for wm & Lenny laid down trembling & acted as if he was in pain. I tried to get him to stand & he couldn't do it.

SW held Lenny while I called vet & insisted he be seen ASAP. My darling boy was running a 106 temp. Blood work was drawn & xrays were taken (to rule out spinal injury).

Lenny has bronchitis/pneumonia. Additionally his platelet count is dangerously low. A shot of steroids was given & we left with a script of antibiotics.

Lenny slept 2 days straight & finally woke this morning & ate & drank. :choir:

My vet has been calling every 4 hours or so checking in King Leonard (name on his papers). I just reported that he was in the back yard barking at the neighbor's dogs & could climb the steps :whew:

Now we have to worry about the platelet issue - new blood draw will be done on Monday. If the problems persists we may be looking at long term steroid treatment.

Just what I need ~ a service dog with an attitude, all bulked up & aggressive. :stopglass::rofl:

donna723

Oh, poor little Lenny! I'm so glad you could get him in to the vet right away and that he's feeling better now.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
WHEW... I am glad you got him in to the vet. AND ESPECIALLY that he's feeling better! When I saw your subject line my heart went straight into my throat.

You know what though? Steroids probably won't bulk him up... Not used properly! LOL!

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I'm sorry....should have said was sick. He's just been so weak & out of it ~ terrified me. I knew something was off on the day I took kt to therapist ~ he growled & jumped at someone. So not in his training.

donna723

I wouldn't worry about the steroids too much if he needs them. Ragan has been on them several times for her allergies and other assorted ailments and I haven't noticed any changes n her. No "'Roid Rage" in dogs like in people. Her batting average may have gone up though!

Jena

aw i'm sorry i missed this one...... yea last thing you need. glad he's feeling better. just like kids right, acting up when ill.

H

HaoZi

Happy he's feeling better, hope the appointment on Monday is a clean bill of health.