List of school-related acronyms?

Discussion in 'Special Ed 101 Archives' started by writestuff, Oct 1, 2006.

1. writestuff

writestuff New Member

I have been reading this board this morning, and I think I've gotten some of the acronyms straightened out (like, I think school district stands for School District and not Step-Daughter!). Others (OHI? ARD? SED?) are still a mystery, and I can't find a place where they are all listed for easy reference. The general FAQ has a good listing of abbreviations that includes relationships and disorders, but does not include any of the school-related ones.

2. Martie

Martie Moderator

These used to be in an article I wrote for the education section of the board. However, I checked, it's not there and probably was lost in some change-over to new servers--there have been two major changes.

You are correct school district=school district
    A lot of others are categories of eligibility under IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Act--main federal Special Education legislation)
    OHI=Other Health Impaired
    SED=Seriously Emotionally Disturbed
    ARD=A Texas special acronym that is referred to as a Multidisciplinary Staff conference (MDC) or Multidisciplinary Study Team (MDST) in the rest of the country
    Learning Disability (LD)= Learning Disabilities
    ADHD=Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
    BiPolar (BP)=Bipolar
    Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD)=Borderline Personality Disorder
    Sensory Integration Disorder (SID)=Sensory Integration Disorder
    Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)=Traumatic Brain Injury
    IEP=Individual Education Plan
    IEP meeting=the only place an IEP can be written or changed. Parents are full participating members of their child's IEP team whose minimum membership is written into law.
    IFSP=Individual Family Service Plan (for children under 3)
    SpEd=Special Education (delivered under IDEA)
    CSE=Case Study Evaluation (done by school district to determine eligibility for SpEd or Section 504 plan)
    IEE or IE=Independent (Educational) Evaluation. An evaluation done by outside experts if the parent disagrees with the school district's evaluation.

Hope this helps.

Martie

3. tiredmommy

tiredmommy Site Moderator

I wonder if this list could be archived or added into the FAQ's?

4. Sheila

Sheila Moderator

An ARD in TX is also an IEP meeting.

5. SRL

SRL Active Member

One of the parents on Easy Child just told me that the latest is that they are starting to use sensory processing disorder (SPD) instead of Sensory Integration Disorder (SID), as in Sensory Processing Disorder.

6. Sheila

Sheila Moderator

I pulled some updated urls the other day and saw where there are some trying to go with-Sensory Processing Disorder rather than Sensory Integration Disorder. It can be confusing.