Manifestation called.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
He was sent home within a half hour of being dropped off at school.

He may or may not be suspended tomorrow. Regardless, I have called for the manifestation determination.

klmno

I think that's a good idea and am glad that you are staying on top of this. Remember not to let them intimidate you into signing if they try to claim it's not a manifestation of his disability. Hopefully they won't and this is just a necessary document for later use. Good luck!!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I don't even really care if they do the manifestation.

I just care that they get him somewhere that can keep him at school and educate him.

Period.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
HALF an HOUR?

This is ridiculous. Wee is not getting a FAPE. The more they send him home/suspend him, the worse it's going to get. (Learned from Onyxx...)

I am glad you called for the manifestation determination, and I'm cybering you my Warrior Mom armor for backup strength.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am sorry it was necessary. What a stupid way to run things for wee(NOT on your part!), these people are idjits.

Proud of you! Sending support, strength, and my rhino skin armor too! HOpe they don't pull any koi.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
What actually happened? he didn't want to clean up and transition from morning work to carpet time and called the SpEd teacher names.

Background info that I beleive contributed? He had another sub in the mainstream room.

JJJ

Ugh! Ugh! Ugh! They are so awful! Please buy wee an ice cream from Aunt JJJ. He doesn't deserve this.

flutterby

Fly away!
We need a group of Warrior Moms to attend this meeting with you. :warrior:

He better not be suspended. This is so far beyond ridiculous.

i'm so sorry for you--i hope this will be a positive, and get wee what he needs.

and i hope tomorrow will be a better day, for both of you.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Got the call that he is not suspended.

I had asked to be able to take him back this afternoon for the time of day that he seems to be able to handle (with just the SpEd - also about the only time of day he really gains anything educationally). That was denied, but he can go back tomorrow morning.

JJJ

Got the call that he is not suspended.

I had asked to be able to take him back this afternoon for the time of day that he seems to be able to handle (with just the SpEd - also about the only time of day he really gains anything educationally). That was denied, but he can go back tomorrow morning.

Then he was suspended. If they are refusing to allow him to be at school, that is a suspension.

SRL

Then he was suspended. If they are refusing to allow him to be at school, that is a suspension.

My thoughts exactly. School staff requests that you remove him from the building--not for being sick, but for disciplinary reasons. That's suspension.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I'm curious what they would do if you were not available to come pick him up? Would they just stick him in a hallway at a desk? Would an administrator keep him in their office?

SRL

Come to think of it, I'd be curious as to what they're officially calling sending home a student for behavioral reasons on all these supposed non-suspension days.

mstang67chic

Going Green
As on top of things as you are, I would still consider taking an educational advocate with you to the manifestation meeting. If nothing else....there's a neutral, objective witness there to help keep track of things.

I'm sorry you guys are going through this...it really hoovers.

TerryJ2

I agree, you may need an educational advocate.

He had another sub in the mainstream room.

Boy, does that sound familiar. difficult child was nearly kicked out of daycare many moons ago, when he was acting up. I found out that he'd had a new "teacher" every 4 days or so. The turnover was horrific. No one knew how to handle the terrible twos and threes. (And it turned out they weren't real teachers, after all.)

I worried about how long it would take him to calm down at home. Weeks? A year?

One day. He was an angel.

Consistency is SO important!
I feel for you and him.

smallworld

Shari, I've been told that a manifestation determination is on par with a court hearing so it's in your best interest to have a Special Education attorney with you. At the very least, you should have an educational advocate who knows special education law. You don't want to get tripped up on a technicality. You need to protect your son's special education rights.

Hang in there. You're doing right by your son.