Medical assessment

klmno

Has anyone here had a medical assessment done by sd as part of iep evaluation? If so, what did it involve and was it done by someone who was establishing how an existing medical issue impeded learning or was it done to look for undiscovered medical issues or both?

LittleDudesMom

K,
my difficult child didn't have any "physical" medical tests other than a hearing test as part of his qualification process. Sorry I can't help you there. Hopefully someone will be along that can answer the question. I'll make a guess though - since you are talking about medical tests that are done by the sd, I would think the intent would be to see how existing issues are contributing to his ability or inability in the classroom. However, the discovery of new medical conditions could surely be an outcome wouldn't you think?

I hope someone has an answer for you.

Sharon

dreamer

I'm not sure if I will word this right but........our school had a section in the start up process for determing eligibility for iep & one section was for 'medical'. our school used any input we wanted to offer for that section...iirc...called a 'domain'? maybe? we put difficult children bipolar info there as bipolar is a medical consideration in our opinion. for my son we put in his lost eye & his cp & seizure disorder....but our sd did not do their own exam....they used records files reports etc that we provided

klmno

Thank you both!! I just found my "proof" that BiPolar (BP) is considered "medical". It is listed in the Federal Register as "commonly understood to be health impairments" and that is why they did not list it in the OHI category- they explain this in the commentary section stating that they are not going to provide an exhaustive list of OHI disabilities.

This is important because in our jurisdiction, services are not provided equally for ED and OHI classifications. Furthermore, things like "lack of attention" and "unorganized" are listed as behavior if the kid has an ED class, whereas, they are listed as a functional deficit under the OHI. Right or wrong, that's the way they do things.

They said they had to completely re-evaluation him to consider change in classification. But, then they only listed bare minimal assessments to be done- evaluations that would not uncover how his BiPolar (BP) and medications are impeding his learning. But, they said if I wanteed more testing, then I could do it at my own expense because this is all she (the ed spec) did and was qualified to do. Yet, they never want to accept my private dr's stuff- and they will sit there and argue it's accuracy (psychiatrist's letter stating BiPolar (BP) diagnosis; previous neuropsychologist test results).

So, I'm going to write a letter stating that any re-evaluation has to be comprehensive and assess areas related to suspected disability and that a qualified person is required to do that, per the law. I'll print out this page from the Federal Register; Dept. of Education; Final Rule stating that BiPolar (BP) is a health impairment. in my humble opinion, her insistence that this probably doesn't effect difficult child at all at school proves how unqualified she is to do the evaluation.

I'm also going to throw in a couple of sentences giving a brief history that lets them know that the school never evaluation'd my son to begin with until I had private testing done 3 years ago, never let me know he was showing signs of depression or mental instability, etc., so obviously, they do not have anyone qualified to evaluation a mood disorder or how it impedes his learning.

Given that the ed spec is acting as the lead in the re-evaluation, it gives me a good opportunity to express grievance without appearing to put blame on the principal or cm at school. They bailed difficult child out last year, so I need to keep them on our good side as much as possible.

So, now that I have this form that I need to sign that gives them consent to re-evaluation difficult child, I'm not sure what to do. I give them consent but do not agree that the few things they have listed is enough to be in compliance with the law and want them to assess more than they have listed- how do I handle that?

Also, I just read on a BiPolar (BP) forum that a kid can have 2 classifications listed- now there's a thought. There argument is that a person can be blind and have adhd; can be autistic and in a wheelchair; can be BiPolar (BP) and ED or Learning Disability (LD) or all; etc.

Last edited:

Sheila

Isn't that Federal Registry a jewel?:D

One way they the sd tries to get around a medical assessment (and others) is they have to "suspect" a disability and the suspected problem REQUIRES evaluation by a particular professional, eg., in your case a physician.

klmno

Yes, Sheila!! And I think a letter from a child & adoloscent psychiatrist stating my son has a BiPolar (BP) diagnosis is reason to suspect. Plus, his previous neuropsychologist results- which they have copies of both. And, our state regs require the evaluation'ing team to review info provided by the parent. I quoted all that in by letter. Oh- also, our state regs require that "ALL areas of a suspected disability are to be assessed, by a qualified professional", not just IQ testing and not just testing for typical symptoms of a classification already given to a child. It specificly states that. :)