Miss KT's latest idea...watch out, Australia!

KTMom91

Apparently the school has a program where you can study in another country for a semester, and Miss KT has applied to go to Sydney for the fall semester 2011. I don't know why she chose Australia out of the other possibilities, maybe because they speak English there? Hopefully she has a more substantial reason than "the accent is really cool, Mom!"

I think it's a great opportunity for her, if she's selected. She's majoring in communications, and I guess she'd be seeing first-hand how different countries use media. Don't know exactly what she'll be studying, but just having the chance to go somewhere and see something new is pretty awesome.

DammitJanet

Well. That would be cool....but is she gonna be calling you when she gets lost there too?

Mom, Im driving around the Bridge and there is a psychiatric hospital and I cant find my way home. Help!

Marguerite

OK, I'm warned!

Seriously though - where would she be studying? And where would she be living? Is some sort of accommodation included in this? Most universities here have various residential colleges attached to them. Sydney can be tricky to find your way around - people look at the population and think, "No problem, it's only small." But it spreads out a vast distance and grew like Topsy, as they say, so it sprawls, rambles and has weird networks of roads that seem to go in the wrong direction. Plus our state government privatised some of the newer tollways, so the nearby roads funnel traffic into them, you can end up on the tollway and a long way from where you want to be, AND poorer, if you don't watch out.

The one good thing - we're a friendly mob, especially to a girl with an accent.

Media... hmm... could be UNSW, could be Macquarie. Or Western Sydney. Not sure about Sydney Uni, although she would love that, it is a beautiful (antique, Cambridge-style) campus. PM me if you need to, I can help.

Marg

Marguerite

We taped the first episode to watch it. We're taping the rest because we're not home until Sunday and can't count on seeing it. I loved the first episode! It also seemed very accurate.

About the big O on the Sydney Harbour Bridge - they just happened to be working on the mountings and stuff for the NYE fireworks, part of which was to be a peace symbol that turned into other things. They were going to test it anyway, but for Oprah they tested it with only the outer circle switched on. They finished the test after she left Sydney.

So while we do go all out for our visitors, we don't usually go THAT far!

In the early footage of Hamilton Island (where they started the first show) you can see the stormy sky. That was the weather pattern up there which is why the flooding rains. It's a pity they didn't get the usual sunshine all the way. But even a stormy Aussie sky is one worth seeing.

Seeing that show reminded me why I prefer to get out of the cities. I'm a wide open spaces sheila...

Marg

Marg's Man

What dates are the Fall semester? At her age she would attending one of our Universities as an undergraduate which (effectively) shut down teaching between the end of November and the end of February the following year for the summer holidays.

Of course the research continues and there are summer schools, conventions and other sorts of time wasting but almost no undergrad stuff.

I work at one of the major universities (in a Science subject). PM Marg or me if you need to, we can help.

Marg's Man