Mood Disorder NOS was explained to me FINALLY!!!

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by MidwestMom, Dec 8, 2007.

1. MidwestMom

MidwestMom Well-Known Member

Ok, so I have Mood Disorder NOS and asked my psychiatrist, who is a good one from the Univeristy of Wisconsin--WHAT THE HELLO DOES THAT MEAN? He explained it in a way that maybe anyone who has a child with this dx. can relate to. I "buy" his answer.
    He said that it's sort of a spectrum. If somebody doesn't have obvious mania/depression, but definately has debilitating mood swings, with anxiety disorder and panic disorder and some OCD they lump it all together and call it mood disorder NOS. That makes me think that soon enough, just like "Autistic Spectrum Disorder" soon the mood disorders will be called "Mood Disorder Spectrum." At any rate, those of you with kids with that dx.--that's what I was told it is. Of course, because of the liable moods, often you need a mood stabilizer. However, in spite of having some really nosedive moodswings, I do best on an antidepressant and benzo. Anyway, this was just FYI (and, of course, maybe some won't agree, but it works for me).
  2. busywend

busywend Moderator Staff Member

He sounds like a keeper!
  3. TerryJ2

TerryJ2 Well-Known Member

Great info.
    Thank you ... and your dr.
  4. jbrain

jbrain Member

Thanks, MWM! My gfg1 was diagnosed with mood disorder nos at her rtc and I wondered what it was--no one ever explained it to me, just said she was depressed. She appears to be okay now--has not been on meds for nearly 2 yrs and seems "happy"--not manic, just happy with life in a normal sort of way.
    Jane