My 10 year old daughter adamant about a chemical peel treatment!

Hey. My daughter is 10 years old. She is beauty conscious and she really obsessed about it. I had taken her to a counselling session but there is no desirable change in her attitude. Now she is very adamant about a chemical peel treatment from a cosmetic dermatology centre in Richmond Hill. But I guess she is too young for that procedure. I tried my best to make her understand but of no use. I am really worried. Please advise.

nlj

It's a bit silly at that age isn't it. Young girls get lots of silly ideas in their heads. These are usually replaced by other silly ideas soon enough. I'd be inclined to laugh at this nonsense, but I expect others will be along soon with other responses.

I wonder where she got this notion from? Has she been watching a TV programme about it? Otherwise, I don't know how a 10 year old would even know what a 'chemical peel' was.

New Leaf

Hi Victoria welcome to the forum. Sorry for your need to be here. If this is your legal name you may consider changing it, the site is anonymous, but the public does have access.
Goodness 10 is a very young age to be concerned about a chemical peel. I am sorry the counselor was not able to help your daughter. Is there anything else going on with her? Sometimes kids will go through an experience they are not able to talk about, it shows up in different ways like being dissatisfied with their appearance. If it were my child I would definitely keep up with counseling. It is so unusual for a 10 year old to want a chemical peel.
I am on Pacific time, and it is late here. I am sure others will be along to respond to your post tomorrow. It would help if you added more info about your daughter, how she is doing in school, any additional worries you may have.
Welcome to our little corner of the web. Keep posting and let us know how you and your daughter are doing. Sorry I do not have more suggestions for you. Do know that you are not alone.
(((Hugs)))
leafy

BusynMember

Id just say absolutely not, that beauty inside is more important than anything. She is very young and you dont owe her this. Is she worriedbabout her weight too? That would be my biggest concern as an eating disorder is serious.

pigless in VA

Good morning. I'm sorry that you are very worried about your daughter. I'm afraid that one counseling session will not change anyone's attitude. It takes a lot of work to change the way a person behaves or thinks. I hope you have another appointment scheduled as it sounds as though she needs to work on her obsession with beauty.

My son used to get extremely angry with me when I would tell him "no" about something. It doesn't matter. A child needs a parent to set boundaries. In this case, you could make her an appointment and then you and the physician could explain to her why she is too young for a chemical peel.

Also, it is a good idea to change your name to something anonymous. http://www.conductdisorders.com/com...bout-privacy-please-read.22265/#axzz43cojMQrY

Billyelias

Hey. My daughter is 10 years old. She is beauty conscious and she really obsessed about it. I had taken her to a counselling session but there is no desirable change in her attitude. Now she is very adamant about a chemical peel treatment from a cosmetic dermatology centre in Richmond Hill. But I guess she is too young for that procedure. I tried my best to make her understand but of no use. I am really worried. Please advise.

There are a wide variety of chemical peels from very mild to very severe. there are so many types of peels that can help so many problems, they can be done from teens to very elderly patients wanting rejuvenation, or removal of pre-cancers. Be sure to get the correct diagnosis from your dermatologist so the correct peel for you is chosen.
pls go thru d following link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_peel#Complications_of_chemical_peels

It's a bit silly at that age isn't it. Young girls get lots of silly ideas in their heads. These are usually replaced by other silly ideas soon enough. I'd be inclined to laugh at this nonsense, but I expect others will be along soon with other responses.

I wonder where she got this notion from? Has she been watching a TV programme about it? Otherwise, I don't know how a 10 year old would even know what a 'chemical peel' was.

Yes, I guess. She is addicted to TV and facebook.

ksm

Could you have some girl time and buy her some drug store face cleanser, moisturizer and sunscreen? I don't mean expensive overpriced items. But like Noxema, or Clean and Clear? I think that is the name... Teach her the importance of keeping her skin healthy and clean, and use sunscreen to prevent sun damage.

KSM

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
I have boys but my parenting experience tells me that you need to stand firm and nip this in the bud as soon as possible. Others on this forum will give you great advice.

We learned the HARD way not to be afraid to "upset" my youngest son who has a very strong personality - and say NO. Good luck!

beam-me-up

Google for images of 'chemical peel gone wrong' then ask her if she is aware of the dangers of chemical peel and show her the most gruesome. Also ask her if she knows that even if it goes right that she will look like a scabby mess for a week (exaggeration much?).

Tell her that just as effective, less dangerous and more appropriate for her skin age is a kaolin and cucumber mask. You can make that up yourself or ask any local beautician to make up something similar. If it is the experience of being pampered she is after, then make it a reward for great behaviour or a birthday treat.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Speaking as a nearly 56-year old who is wrinkled, blotchy, and rough in patches due to age, sun, and wind damage...

I asked my dermatologist about this a couple of years ago. She told me, "absolutely not!"

First of all, skin peels are chemical burns! They actually damage the skin and make it more vulnerable to damage in the future.

NO reputable plastic surgeon/dermatologist would consider doing a skin peel of any kind on a 10 year old.

OK...you need to get your daughter off of social media ASAP! She is way too young for it. She is way too young for ANY unsupervised access to the internet.

Facebook requires that its users be at least 13. Did she lie to set up an account, or did you?

She is 10 years old. She is a child. You are the parent. The skin peel issue requires a one word answer: NO!

You are attempting to reason with a child where no reasoning is necessary and only weakens your position.

That said, I am concerned about the fixation on "beauty" etc., and am worried that she may be incubating a case of body dysmorphic disorder. She should be screened for that asap. 10 year olds can become anorexic, bulimic, etc.,

In the meantime, get her off facebook, control her internet access tightly, quit buying the magazines, restrict access to TV, and get her involved in healthy 10-year old activities.

BusynMember

GN, you said what I meant so much better than me. I personally feel it is best for a girl's mental health NOT to be obsessed with looks. It is not in my opinion a good way for us to judge ourselves or others. And the social media is not the main offender. Any advertisement of real life barbie dolls, including models in magazines and in movies, have our girls thinking that outer beauty matters more than our inner qualities. And that outer beauty mean perfect features and skin and of course being stick skinny.

And this CAN lead to body.dysmorphia which causes more death than any other mental illness. It is starting to afflict boys too. Not good.

I tried very hard and mostly succeeded in making sure my two girls do not judge themselves or others by their looks. At ten I would have had a talk with my girl and told her how her heart meant far more than any potentially dangerous skin procedure.

She is only ten. She still absorbs what you show her and tell her. Maybe get her mind on others and off her looks?? I sure wish you luck.

Last edited:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
What bothers me is that at the same time little girls are getting into the whole "beauty" thing, a generation of young men are growing up believing that the "Barbie look" is sexually desireable.

So, we have a whole generation of girls who are being body shamed by both genders. And, we as parents, as toy manufacturers, as media executives, have not only allowed this to happen, but in some cases, have encouraged it.

BusynMember

Indeed. No kudos to me, but this is not something I ever encouraged with my girls and both have healthy opinions about looks and body image. Im not one to care how I look either. But many people really care.

No offense meant to anyone here...I think it is common, I guess...but it surprised me that so many advised humoring this obsession in the child rather than telling her that how she looks is not as important as her goodness inside and to focus on that.

Color me naive as all get go.