Crystal72

My 11 years old son is diagnosed with asperger,ADHD,ODD 3 years ago.He is on adderall 10mg and 50mg zoloft in the morning and 5mg adderall in the afternoon. He doesn't have IEP because he is tested gifted with an IQ of 168. However we received countless complains from school of his behavior and inappropriate languages. School is not willing to provide document support when I applied for katie Beckett medical support. He was suspended from school last year, admitted to psychiatrist hospital for 3 weeks for slashing himself with the blade of sharpener. Yet, school and state doesn't feel we entitle to help DS is a shoplifter and a compulsive liar and habit in playing with fire. we noticed these when he was around 2-3 years old. Every time he would say he found them on the floor , I don't know how it happen in my pocket... I always make him bring them back and apologize but it doesn't stop him from doing that. He has a habit of setting fire. Once we were on vacation and he set fire on plastic flowers and threw them to the receptionist. Countless times he set off the firealarm in the house and denied have anything to do with it. We would always search the whole house to look for evidence.He is a compulsive liar, small things as to have he clean his hamsters would return as lie... Things like have you taken shower... I m so exhausted.so suffocating and don't know what to do anymore.Yesterday we were at the grocery shopping and he came home with something again...Advice?

BusynMember

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Anything unusual in his early back ground. Divorce? A parent who was abusive or neglectful? Does he live with both biological parents? Seems like there is more going on than Aspergers unless it's the medications. Sometimes medications can do really bad things to certain kids...also any psychiatric problems on either side of his genetic family tree?

T

TeDo

Ditto what MWM asked. Reading your signature, there is a lot more going on than Asperger's. Who diagnosed your son? How old was he when he was diagnosed? How often do you see the psychiatrist? When was the last time his medications were adjusted? What does the psychiatrist say about all of these behaviors? Are you in therapy yourself?

As for an IEP, my son had one for "Emotional Behavioral Disorders". His academics were fine but his behavior at school was not. Sounds like you might have to push your school to get an IEP. Find an advocate in your area to get that moving.

{{{{(((HUGS)))}}}}

keista

((((HUGS))))

Sorry school is being so stubborn.
He doesn't have IEP because he is tested gifted with an IQ of 168
that's fine and dandy, but do his grades reflect that gifted status? I'm guessing no if he gets suspended and has behavioral problems. If his grades do NOT match his IQ (if he's not getting all As) then he is performing BELOW expectations, and the school is required to set up an IEP - keep pushing.

Does he have SSI? Have you applied? If he qualifies and the gov't says he's disabled, then the school really can't deny that fact and MUST provide an IEP.

You'll have to make a pest of yourself to get one in place. Call the guidance conselor and request one at least once a week. When the school complains about his behavior, ask them what THEY are doing to acomodate his disability?

How long has he been on the Zoloft? Did his behavior improve or get worse on it? Was it started at the same time as the adderall? Did the adderall seem to help things? Like MidWestMom said, the wrong medication can do REALLY bad things. I experienced that twice with DD1. At first it seemed to do wonders, and then very strange, odd, sometimes terrifying behavior began that she had never had before. Stopped the drug and she was back to her old difficult self. :)

DDD

"Gifted" does not eliminate IEP's....at least not in my experience in Florida. I'm glad to read that you have a new neuro/psychiatric in the works as that will probably clarify his issues. You're doing a great job. DDD

Crystal72

He was 9 when he was diagnosed with asperger. The last time the medication was adjusted was in nov2010 when he was discharged from hospital for cutting himself.I spoke with his psychiatrist in March2011 that his medication might need to adjust due to aggression issues and in April when he physically 'assaulted' his 17yo sister by grabbing her breasts.but both times the psychiatrist says he is not too worry about it. There were times I feel they think I m the one losing it. I mean these kids rarely open their mouth at the doctor offices and if they don believe me, who can I go to?

Crystal72

I made myself a pest, trust me. I complained to school superintendent and even senator office but they say my son doesn't meet the social security disability code. He is straight A student. It's just the language that got him into problem and from my understand kids with asperger has this issue.

DDD

I don't know about your insurance but difficult child had an eight hour neuro/psychiatric when he was in 8th or 9th grade and then the school paid for a second one about two years after the first. For us the second made his problems clearer. Not everyone has found them that benficial but we certainly did. Using those results our psychiatrist changed his medications and he has been "mostly" stable since. Good luck. DDD

T

TeDo

You said he was diagnosis'd with Asperger's 2 years ago by a psychiatrist. Who/when were the "ADHD, ODD, Disruptive Disorder not otherwise specified" diagnosis'd? I agree with MWM, if the psychiatrist isn't concerned with a sexual assault, I would be finding a new psychiatrist in a hurry. That is disturbing. Have a doctor write an order for a new neuropsychologist and then, with order in hand, call your insurance company and tell them your doctor has ordered a new neuropsychologist and see "how soon" they will cover it.

Still sending {{{{(((HUGS)))}}}}

Crystal72

The Disruptive disorder not otherwise specified and ADHD when he was 7yo and then giftedness and ODD were 8. after that it was the asperger diagnoses.I will be talking to the new neuropsychologist and insurance on Monday to see if I am able to pull a referral thru.

keista

I agree with trying to find a new psychiatrist. I had one REALLY bad one for DD1 that I stayed with too long. If your kids won't talk to the psychiatrist, you MUST get one that WILL listen to you.

Get yourself a cheap video camera and catch any possible activity on video. The current psychiatrist we have I think sometimes does think I'm the crazy one because DD1 barely would utter a word in her office, but she always still listens and works with the information I give her. Last time, I just mentioned I had some video of DD1's behavior, and she immediately took my concerns more seriously - she said she didn't need to see it.

Crystal72

I took down videos of both my boys but the psychiatrist doesn't want to see them at all. A lot of time he thinks I m losing it cos it's overwhelming to have two special needs boys. I admit there are times I m losing it cos I try and try but no resources and no solution

keista

Well, ah, yeah, you are probably "loosing it" because the school won't help, and he won't help, so, yeah.

Monday, while checking out information about more evaluations, I'd go shopping for a new psychiatrist, too. You need someone to really listen to your concerns as a mom.