My dog died

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by nvts, Mar 5, 2008.

1. nvts

nvts Active Member

Coco the mostly Golden Retriever has passed away. She was 16 or 17 years old and was my very first "baby girl". She'd been sick for the last week or so, her back end was getting weak, getting incontinent and very very clingy. She was never more than 2 feet by my side.

We were going to have her put down on Monday, but difficult child 1 was going through the NYC 4th grade math tests (3 days long) so the vet gave her some steroids, fluids and an antibiotic. She rallied although never really regained the strength in her back legs.

She went steadily downhill today. She passed at 6:00pm. I thought I would handle this better than I am. The best way to describe it is: I'm just very sad.

2. mstang67chic

mstang67chic Going Green

That's always hard. Hugs.
  3. Wiped Out

Wiped Out Well-Known Member Staff Member

I'm so very sorry. Gentle hugs.
  4. klmno

klmno Active Member

(((HUGS))) There is no easy way - I'm really sorry you are going through this.
  5. mrscatinthehat

mrscatinthehat Seussical

I am so sorry.

Many hugs,
  6. Shari

Shari IsItFridayYet?

I'm so very sorry to hear of your loss. Sending many gentle hugs.
  7. flutterbee

flutterbee Guest

Our pets are our babies.

I'm so sorry. ((((hugs))))
  8. Big Bad Kitty

Big Bad Kitty lolcat

Oh Beth. I am so sorry. Sending lots and lots of hugs.

You know, all dogs go to heaven.
  9. DammitJanet

DammitJanet Well-Known Member Staff Member

Lots of big hugs. I understand completely. I have an injured furrkid at my house and am hoping he gets better soon. We just hurt when they do. Maybe your dog is going to be waiting to lick our aunts hand when they meet up in heaven.
  10. Nomad

Nomad Guest

Always a heartbreaker. Sending hugs.
  11. witzend

witzend Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. We love them so much, and they rely upon us in such a trusting way.
  12. totoro

totoro Mom? What's a GFG?

Oh I am so very sorry for you families loss.. it is never easy. Even if you think you are prepared for what is coming.
    I just picked up Indies little box, we had him cremated, and I broke down at the vet's office. It is just so hard to lose a pet.
    Take some time to heal, remember your little friend in your heart...
  13. TerryJ2

TerryJ2 Well-Known Member

Oh, I am so sorry, Beth. Let yourself grieve. Dogs are a huge part of our lives and a part of our families. Their constant companionship, warm bodies, trusting natures ... I have cried and cried each time we've lost a dog. They are all old and well cared for but that doesn't make it hurt any less.
  14. Marcie Mac

Marcie Mac Just Plain Ole Tired

Am so sorry :(

15. SearchingForRainbows

SearchingForRainbows Active Member

My heart goes out to you and your family. It is never easy when a beloved "furry" family member dies. I still get teary eyed thinking of my "furry" family members who are no longer with me... I think we need to allow ourselves to go through a grieving process. After all, our "furry" family members are just members of our families who happen to be covered in fur...

I've found that aside from time, it always helps me to remember them in a special way. I make a collage of pictures, put it in a pretty frame, and hang it in my home. My daughter has always helped me with this.

I know your dog will always hold a special place in your heart...I honestly understand the unique bond and love we share with our dogs. The time they spend with us is a gift. And, when they're no longer physically with us, they're always with us in our hearts...

I'm truly sorry for your loss. WFEN
  16. janebrain

janebrain New Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. You had your dog with you for so long, he was a big part of your family I'm sure.
  17. tammyjh

tammyjh New Member

I'm so sorry that you lost your beloved pet. I remember when I lost my little Sammy Boy. I still miss him :sad-very:
  18. hearts and roses

hearts and roses Mind Reader

Aw {{{Beth}}} I's so sorry. I will be a complete basket case sobbing mess when my 'baby girl' leaves me. :sad-very: Gentle hugs~
  19. Fran

Fran Former Site Owner

I'm sorry that you lost your buddy. She had a long full life. She was blessed to have a mom who loved him so much. Take some comfort in what you gave to her and she gave to you.

I know how sad you must be.
  20. WhymeMom?

WhymeMom? No real answers to life..

Sorry for the loss of Coco.......I can only say having a pet comes close to pure love.......thinking of you......