My grandma is

Wiped Out

Staff member
100 today!! I am so excited. She lives in Buffalo, NY so we celebrated last summer. She is still a very active person and does a lot of volunteer work still!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Happy 100th birthday Grandma!! Way To Go!

Being active and participating in life seems to be the key to longevity. :)

Tiapet

Old Hand
Wow and happy birthday to your grandma! I have often thought about living to 100, though I know that it would never happen. How many of us would want to? I suppose if my life were very different I'd feel different about it but I don't think I'd want to live that long. I wished my grandma did however. I adored her and she had so much to give and did. I hope your grandma is just like her! ;)

susiestar

Roll With It
How WONDERFUL!! What a blessing she must be!! I would very much have loved to have more time with my grandparents - all of them. Wish her a very happy birthday from me!! And take her to splurge on her favorite whatever.

One year I was visiting my grandma alone on her birthday. We went out to eat at a fancy restaurant and for dinner she had a scoop of ice cream with green creme de menthe on top. She shared it with me (I was a teenager at the time) and it was a special thing just between us. I have cherished that and other memories of her for years. I cannot see anything with green creme de menthe with-o thinking of her and that day.

As a special gift, please please please please please take a voice recorder or video camera with you and get her to tell the old family stories to you, and her memoreis of childhood, family, etc... You will treasure them for decades. We have some recordings of my grandparents on each side telling the stories and they are among our prized possessions. they truly are a memory for you, a snapshot of her life, and unless you have them you will always regret not having recorded the stories.

DDD

Awesome. I agree that staying engaged in the community and family appears to be the key. The home next door to me seems to encourage longevity too. When we moved here here almost sixteen years ago I met my new next door neighbor who was 92 and itty bitty. She stayed at home until 98 when she decided living alone probably wasn't the right choice. She (and her Ca. daughter) asked me to be in charge of her affairs which I agreed to do. I put her house on the market and the second week an older couple called to view it. I twas love at first sight for them. The husband passed away suddently and itty bitty Dottie settled in alone. She is now 98 and lives alone. Goes to Mass every week, gets to the beauty salon every week and...just had her second book published. Like your grandma both ladies kept busy. I'm so glad you have her in your life and that she is in good health. Wonderful. DDD

ctmom05

Happy Birthday to your grandma! How wonderful that she is so capable at that age.

I'm always bragging about my dad - and he is only 94:)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
WOW! What a cool milestone - and now we know why the world didn't end 10 days ago!!! :wink:

Tell her happy birthday for me!

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks for the good wishes everyone! I just spoke with her on the phone a bit ago. She is doing well. She did say she is giving up her volunteering at the senior center as of the first of the year. I am guessing she is still doing some of her other volunteering. She still lives by herself although my aunt lives in the mother-in-law apartment in the back. She still enjoys playing scrabble but it is getting harder as her vision is going. She says she wish they would invent illuminated letters for the game because that would be easier for her to see:)

H

HaoZi

Happy Birthday to her, makes me smile to know I share a birthday with someone so awesome :D

Wiped Out

Staff member
Happy Belated Birthday HaoZi! Actually 2 of my 1st cousins (not the same side of the family as my grandma) also had birthdays yesterday they are brother and sister, several years apart!

InsaneCdn

She says she wish they would invent illuminated letters for the game because that would be easier for her to see​
There used to be a version with raised letters, so you could feel the shape to augment low vision...
She probably doesn't know braille, though... so the braille version wouldn't help much.