My mother...

LittleDudesMom

Hey TM,

I left you a little note on FB but wanted to touch base here as well. I know your mother was suffering and so I hope there is some comfort for the family knowing that has ended.

I pray that you and the family are surrounded with strength in the tough days to come. Wrap your arms around your family. My difficult child was about Duckie's age when my dad passed away and, while there was a limited understanding of death upon the loss of the first family member, he was a comfort to me in that he remembered some funny stories about my dad and felt comfortable sharing them with me. I will never forget that...don't feel you have to shield her. Kids manage during these times.

Also, a positive in the process of loosing a parent is the bonding of siblings or far-flung family. My sibs and I sat up late and talked for hours for those first few days. We shared stories that the others didn't know and were just there for each other. No matter the closeness with the lost parent, the strength from seeing yoru siblings as they were when you were young is something to cherish and remember.

I hope these next few days, the toughest in my opinion, pass smoothly. I know that you will be surrounded by friends and family who love you. You are such a giving and involved person, I know those who have benefited from your generous spirit will be there to support and offer strength.

Hugs,
Sharon

everywoman

Julia, I'm so sorry. As someone who has a very similar relationship with my mother, I think I understand your position. It's hard to grieve someone who was pretty much a stranger...and yet, you do feel something...maybe a sadness for what should have been and never will be. Hugs to you. And prayers for your brother.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am so sorry. Please be extra gentle with yourself, even if you feel you are okay. Give yourself some time and permission to cry about your loss.

Sending hugs to everyone in the family, esp you and Duckie.

Andy

I am so sorry. As others said, take care for yourself also. There will be a day when you are "not o.k." Right now you are the one who is the strong one and making arrangements and helping others through this initial grief. When your "work" is done, and you start to relax from all the work these first few days are taking, you will feel the grief hit. You will not know when that "realization of what just happened" will hit so take care and don't push yourself to get everything done.

Kathy813

Staff member
Wow, TM, that wasn't what I was expecting when I opened this thread. I thought she had a few more months.

I'm so sorry for your sudden loss.

~Kathy

tiredmommy

Thank you all for your support. My brother is doing better and I am doing well too.

My mother passed away shortly before 10am yesterday morning in her sleep. My brother and her dear friend of more than 25 Gary were there. Her passing was peaceful.

We will be having a small service on Tuesday followed by an open house at my mother's apartment for her friends and the family. My mother, while, not close to her family did have many friends. Most of her friends were difficult children, but there was love between them all. It's important to include her friends fully as they were the people she spent her life with.

Thanks again.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Oh, TM...I'm so sorry. I've yet to experience that, thankfully. Don't know how I would respond. Take care and know there are a couple of thousands of us thinking of you and your family.

Abbey

Estherfromjerusalem

I'm so sorry, TM, for your loss. Losing a parent is very hard. Still, from experience I can tell you that with time it does get easier. Be kind to yourself.

Love, Esther