Need recipe QUICK....how many hours to bake spareribs??

Sue C

husband usually makes country style pork spareribs in the mircrowave. Tonight he said he'd like to make them in the oven, and I'm supposed to find a recipe. I found a lot on the internet, but the time to bake varies so much. Some say 1-1/2 hours; some 2 hours; some 3 hours.

Whoever has baked spareribs, how long have you baked them? Did you pour the sauce over right away? Did you cover the pan?

Thanks!
Sue

Fran

Former desparate mom
The country style ribs I bake for 2 1/2 hours with nothing on it. I drain all the grease then put barbeque sauce on it the last 1/2 hour.
I use Betty Crocker Cook book. You might want to go to one of the recipe sites for suggestions.

DammitJanet

Country style ribs are the ones that are thicker right? At least that is the way they are labeled here...lol.

Normally I do those in the crockpot but occasionally bake them.

Im a bit late for you but we parboil spareribs for about an hour. Then we bake them for about an hour and a half turning every 15 mins from side to side. You can coat with sauce the last 15 min turn or serve with sauce on the side.

For country style, either crock pot it or bake in a 350 oven for approx. 90 mins ...after about an hour pour off grease and add sauce. Make sure you cover with foil.

Sue C

Thanks Fran & Janet. I will have to try your baking recipes or slow cooker next time. husband is out painting in the shop. Looks like I'll be cooking tonight. I like it much better when he does. haha Melissa just said she was hungry. You think she'd cook???? Ha!

Off to microwave the spareribs.

Thanks again.
Sue

ediwiz

Sue,

Sorry I'm so late chimming in. I never have much time to cook. That said, I either put in crockpot or if I forgot I throw them in a big pot and boil them until they are done (mostly because inevitably I forgot to thaw them), then I pop them in the oven with BBQ sauce until they are brown (I use the broiler). I do pork chops the same way. My family thinks I'm nuts, but they seem to keep the moisture. Call me lazy, but hey if they want me to work all day and come home and make a complete meal then they have to deal with my "quick fixes" LOL. Heaven forbid should one of them actually lift a finger and have dinner waiting for me!! :smile: :rofl:

Sherry

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Sue,

There is no quick recipe for spareribs. Ribs have to slow cook - hours & hours until the meat starts falling off the bone. You need to add bbq sauce during the last hour.

I start my ribs out early in the morning at 150 degrees or so & bake them all day. Better than the crockpot in my humble opinion.

If you want quick - get takeout. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

dreamer

mmmmmmm spareribs? I smother them in saur :censored2: and simmer on stove top or in oven or in crock pot for-------????however long.....all day? or I mix BBQ and water and simmer them several hours until the water kinda simmers away.....then I add new BBQ sauce on top and sometimes pop that under the broiler.
But I most especially like my spareribs with saur :censored2: and boiled potatos (and horseradish, yum!). I like back ribs for BBQ ribs......

LOL my local TV just did a segment on news about where to get great ribs..AND LOL------earlier today oldest difficult child said MOM! I want BBQ ribs for dinner.
Aw too bad, we had brats and homemade french fries, LOL.
Hmmm difficult child is right.BBQ ribs DO sound yummy!

SRL

I salt and pepper them and usually put them in my electric Nesco roasting pan (would use the oven covered with foil otherwise. A few hours on low. Then I transfer them to the grill for long enough to do the BBQ sauce.

DammitJanet

Oh I just love those Nesco roasters! Wouldnt live without mine. I use my micro to reheat stuff and nuke the babies bottles but thats it. Never cook in it.

To me country style ribs and spare ribs are two totally different animals. Ok not animals but...lol. We like the country style better because there is more meat and my guys are big meat eaters. My stepmom taught us to cook the spare ribs though. When she parboils them and then turns them every 15 mins...she may do it in a slower oven...would have to find the recipe to be honest...gosh they are good and fall right off the bone. We always use sauce on the side.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I actually paid to take a cooking class on ribs. :rofl:

Hey, it was worth it! :tongue:

So here ya go.....easy, easy, easy!......season ribs with minced or chopped garlic. Wrap them in Saran Wrap (yes, SARAN WRAP!), then wrap them again with heavy duty aluminum foil.

Put the wrapped packages in a baking pan. Bake at 250 for 4-6 hours, the longer the better.

Open the wrapping and baste with BBQ sauce. Leave the wrapping open and return to oven for another 30 minutes.

Oh- the chef also said that country ribs aren't "ribs" at all. I forget where he said the meat came...I guess I was too busy eating. :princess:

Suz

SRL

Suz, they sound yummy but I thought the plastic wrap and ziploc type companies were very much against using their products in situations where they would be heated. I know the county extension office put out warnings against using some of the recipes making the internet rounds due to warnings from the manufacturers.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I know.......but nope. I forget all of the examples the chef used because most of us also asked the same question you did. Certainly the roasting bags they sell are of the same principle and I've never heard of them causing a problem. It's baked at such a low temp that it has never caused a problem and it really helps the ribs to stay juicy and tender.

Suz

DammitJanet

Speaking of bags! Have you all tried those crockpot liners? I wish I had invented them...lol. Best things since ... well, roasting bags...lmao.

SRL

I'm wondering if you could use a roaster bag instead since it's made for heat.

It sounds good though. Cool way to keep it moist.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
No idea. I've made it several times with Saran Wrap/Alum foil and it's not been a problem. Can't hurt if you want to experiment, of course---the next time you make ribs make most of them your usual way and just save a few and give it a try with the roasting bag/alum foil. That way if it doesn't work you'll only be out a few ribs and not the whole batch.

If you try it, let me know how it goes.

Suz