Need some insurance advice...

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Shari, May 5, 2010.

  1. Shari

    Shari IsItFridayYet?

    The car accident was 2 weeks ago tomorrow. Their insurance company has finally contacted me and things are flying.

    The auto adjuster called today. Not sure the status of the car yet.

    The claims agent called, also, and wants to meet face to face regarding medical. I presume she will want to offer me cash to go away? But I don't know. I visited my GP the day after the wreck, had a CT the following Monday, and have been/will continue going to the chiro for a bit because I still have the headaches, but they are getting better. I missed 2 days of work (and three training sessions on my horse...but I doubt anyone cares but me!!!) I don't think there is anything really wrong, other than I got flung around a bit and whacked my noggin.

    So....what do I expect from this visit?
  2. Momslittleangels

    Momslittleangels New Member

    They will want copies of your bills and ask about your injuries, etc. They will try to get you to sign a release for XX number of dollars. Personally, I wouldn't sign it yet. You never know if further problems crop up. Many years ago, when I was 8 months pregnant with the oldest daughter, a car broad-sided our car and I was taken to the hospital for evaluation. Wasn't seriously injured, but they wanted the hospital and doctor bills and tried to give a couple hundred extra bucks to settle the case. We waited months and negotiated, because I didn't know if my child would have any issues due to the accident. The insurance company's job is to pay you the least amount possible. You have something like a year to make a claim, so I would wait it out, because they will probably come back and offer more as time goes on. And if you settle, then start having back trouble or need physical therapy, you can't go back and get those bills covered. Make sure you include all of your work losses and anything else that required you to put money out of pocket.
  3. susiestar

    susiestar Roll With It

    I STRONGLY recommend consulting a lawyer before you agree to or accept ANYTHING or sign ANYTHING.

    When you add up everything you have lost because this accident be SURE to include whatever you pay for the horse training sessions. Those are NOT cheap and certainly DO count.

    Make sure the atty knows that you are still having problems with the headache.

    The ins co wants to give you as little as possible. If you get a lawyer on contingency you will problem still get more than the ins co will offer you - even AFTER you pay the lawyer their %.

    Also make sure your car is fixed EXACTLY the way you want it. EXACTLY. Take it back if it has any problem, no matter how small. Don't sign anything from the ins co until the car is 100% also.

    I am sorry the headaches are still there. Maybe a massage will help?
  4. DammitJanet

    DammitJanet Well-Known Member Staff Member

    Wasnt this an old car? If so, they are going to total loss it. I would bet my last dollar it will cost more to fix it than the blue book value.

    I also would wait on signing anything from an insurance company on an accident in which there were injuries. You really need to talk to your doctor about if they think you will have any lingering problems and how long they expect them to last. You also get pain and suffering, lost wages, anything you had to pay for that you wouldnt have had to do if not for the accident.
  5. LittleDudesMom

    LittleDudesMom Well-Known Member Staff Member

    Shari, you have been given great advice. If she is insistent upon meeting with you, just listen to what she has to say and don't sign anything. If she is insistent, gently inform her that you are still under your doctors care and once the headaches clear up you will consider closing the matter. Thank you for your time....... There's no reason though you can't take care of the car portion - they are separate issues.

  6. Shari

    Shari IsItFridayYet?

    The car is being handled by someone else. It is an older car, but was worth more than I thought. However...if I rent a car to drive while its being repaired, that will be enough to put the repair bill over the value of the I also have to decide if I want to fix the car, or total it! Right now, I am leaning to fix it because it is a very solid car, mechanically. But if I rent a car...they'll total it.

    I'll meet with the claims lady tomorrow. She can buy me pie at the restaraunt. lol I won't sign anything til my headache isn't consistently there.

    Thanks, ladies!