Negativity

F

flutterbee

I do think a lot of this is they live in the NOW. They rally have difficulty moving from one minute to the next (task-changing) plus, they feel everything so deeply. Life IS often harder for them in terms of understanding how to adapt to other people and sometimes it's just too hard to try.

I meant to quote this earlier, but am a bit scattered today. I wanted to say that truer-words have never been spoken. That is how I have explained it to my son - she feels everything so deeply.

WW - she does live in a very small world...very egocentric. It's not from lack of exposure. I keep up with current events locally, nationally and internationally. I talk about them, state the facts, my opinions, have discussions about it. We watch shows...PBS or National Geographic or other. I can't tell you how many times I've explained to her what people are talking about when referring to the Twin Towers or 9/11. :surprise: It doesn't directly affect her, though, so it's out of mind. I'm sure SOME of that is age, but I don't think that explains all of it. I remember when Bush Sr. was President and my mom told my aunt a Dan Quayle joke. My aunt asked who Dan Quayle was. :rolleyes:

I don't normally compare her to my aunt. My mom used to compare me to other people and I hated it. I never do it out loud. I just keep seeing too many similarities and I see the paths my aunt has taken and I want better for my daughter.

M

ML

Same here with difficult child. I heard a saying once that basically said that as parents we have to be careful not to take too much credit nor too much blame. I think it helps having more than one child, a easy child I mean. Because those of us who only have difficult children sometimes wonder if it really *is* something we did or didn't do at some point. As mine is an only and was so spoiled and loved for the first years of his life, I wonder if that is why he has a sense of entitlement. And yes, one little thing goes wrong and it's the worst day ever and I'm the worst mom, he hates me, etc. I don't react to it any more because I hear it almost daily. Anyway, I do know how you feel. Hugs, Michele