Nettles!!!

mstang67chic

Going Green
I got into some while wearing flip-flops. My feet are now on fire and it's up around my ankles also. I've rinsed, washed and rinsed again but they are still stinging. Any helpful tips to get this to STOP????

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Nettles are a member of the mint family. The leaves and stems are covered with stinging hairs.

Blotting on baking soda and water should help with the stinging. Good ol' Calamine Lotion works well also.

We've imported a lot of nice stuff from Europe, but nettles are not on that list.

mstang67chic

Going Green
It's some damn weed that if you even walk close to them you get itty bitty teensy weeny little pricklies. But I didn't just walk close to them....I actually got IN them.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Oh, I sympathize with you greatly, 'Stang! We have stinging nettles here in SoCal, and I've been the unhappy recipient of their nasty burn as a kid before I learned to identify them!

Supposedly, they are very nutritious to eat and have medicinal uses as well:

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinging_nettle[/ame]

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Glad you are feeling better! I got into nettles for the first time when I "copped a squat" in the middle of a patch of the buggers.

If you think on your feet is bad...

My nearest neighbor in Germany turned me onto baking soda and water as a treatment. It works very well and it doesn't turn your anatomy pink like calamine does.

I use baking soda for a lot of skin irritations. It also helps with poison ivy and the like, and with insect bites and stings.

Weird nettle fact is that if you pick the young shoots (wear gloves), you can boil them down and eat them as greens. Apparently the cooking gets rid of the toxins. I haven't had the guts to try it, but while I like "greens", I don't much like them stewed.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
GN, I'm not big on cooked greens either, but a friend once served me cooked kale in mashed potatoes... it was GREAT. So I think if I wanted to try nettles, I'd try it with taters first! :)

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
My :censored2: was not at ALL happy! I recognized the things as being "mint", but had never run into nettles before.

I was absolutely MISERABLE until my neighbor managed to weasel out my symptoms and told me I'd likely gotten into nettles and how to treat it.

I actually like kale and I really love broccoli rabe and the like. Young collards and mustard greens are also good.

I like them stir-fried and the like, but don't like them slow cooked with salt pork as is popular in the southern US.

husband and I used to grow mustard and radishes for the greens. Pick 'em young and they are wonderful in stir fries and salads.

Trust me on this one, it is VERY easy to tell chiggers and nettles apart. I've had both (not to mention scabies, crabs, and bedbugs, all picked up during my days of travelling Europe and staying at "youth hostels".

But, yeah, nettles and bottoms are NOT a good combination at all.