new here! Sensory Integration Disorder (SID), possible ODD, AS

legoo

Hi-

New here as of today--

My ds is 6 in a week but i feel this is the best place for me from what I saw.

He is seeing an Occupational Therapist (OT) for Sensory Integration Disorder (SID)-has been for about a year. The sensitivity to clothes is better. He still is extremely picky eater. Very sensory seeking-licks mouth constantly, crashes into people, loud noises at inappropriate times, very poor handwriting and posture.

But more and more I notice the opposition to everything! I never realized how bad it was until I started writing it down. I took my journal to a meeting with a psychologist and she said sounds like ODD. She is booked now but will start seeing him in a few weeks. She doesn't diagnose Apergers, but I asked her to keep an eye out to see if she suspects that as well. I guess a neuropsychologist does that?

He is socially awkward, but doing better. Has few friends. Low self -esteem, says he's ugly. He won't try new things and has anxiety. He has (brag) amazing spatial skills and can build anything and tell you how anything works. Quotes facts and numbers.

Anyway, glad I found this board! I try to glean little bits of info anywhere I can. Anything to help my DS. (And, in turn, the rest of the family) I have read The Explosive Child a few years ago, but need to pull it out again. New things apply as time goes on.

I look forward to getting to know everyone! I hope I have something to add every now and then.

Mama to DS (4-03) sensory processing disorder (SPD) (for now) and daughter (4-00)

BusynMember

Hi there. Welcome.
I have a son on the spectrum. Your son sounds typical for an Aspie! I would not accept the ODD diagnosis., especially from a school psychologist. Aspergers is a neurological difference that requires special parenting and teaching. It is not a mental illness or willful misbehavior. Most psychologists, even not school ones, don't understand the spectrum.

Sometimes my son would argue with me for "Aspie" reasons and I thought he was being defiant. The reasons were:

1/He had to stop doing something and transition to another activity
2/I was cutting into his obsession and he "needed" to finish
3/I expected him to stop doing something and move on to something else really fast and his mind couldn't take that in (I"ve learned how to deal with this).
4/I tried to make him eat something he didn't like (he'd vomit) or wear something he said was itchy, etc. (I learned to respect his sensory issues)
5/I didn't understand what he was trying to say and he was frustrated (Aspies are horrid communicators who also get frustrated quickly)

Is he getting any interventions for the Aspergers in school? Even the brightest Aspie usually needs help. Either they have trouble with transitions, trouble with socializing (and need help, often lots of help, to learn social appropriateness) or the classroom is too full of sensory distractions. Often, Aspies speak out in class.
My son's Special Education teacher and aide are a huge reason why he is flourishing. Without them, I don't know where he'd be. He is 15 now and, while still quirky, is mainstreamed almost completely and functioning without meltdowns and is doing amazing considering how he started out.

legoo

Thanks Midwest Mom.

I'm not sure what his deal is just yet. The Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) diagnosis doesn't explain the constant opposition. He has a compulsion to negate everything we say. For example, I say,"What a beautiful sunset" and he says,"No, it is horrible". Or his Dad and I are moving a heavy dresser down the hall and he is in out path. We ask him to move and he says," No, I want you to drop it and break it." It goes on all day.

The psychologist we have an appointment with is private, but she is not a neuropsychologist. We met with the school last year and they refused to evaluate him. They said his problems were not affecting his learning. That was pre-K. He is in kindergarten now and can do the work but often won't get started or finish the work. He is very disruptive in class. I can tell the teacher is fed up with him. She is open to suggestions and I have the Occupational Therapist (OT) communicating with her. He will switch to another public school next year. I am sure the transition will be hard but in the long run this school might be better. There is a group of 5 autistic kids his age in the new school who have an aid, so at the least the school might have more experience with kids on the spectrum.

I guess we will see what the new doctor has to say. She does work with Aspies, even if she can't diagnose.

One thing that really hit home in your post is the part about your son being a terrible communicator. My son can tell you all about robots but can't tell you how he feels. he seems "locked up" emotionally, almost like he is embarrased to have emotions.

I will talk to the doctor about the possibility of the defiance being "Aspie".

What's weird is sometimes he acts totally "typical" and others times he is unable to function at all...

SRL

Hi legoo and welcome to our site. It does sound like Asperger's is a good direction to look.

A neuropsychologist may turn out to be a good option but if you're looking to diagnose or rule out Autistic Spectrum Disorders I always suggest that parents check in with local parents of kids with ASDs. These parents usually will have suggestions for the best professionals to do this and while that might turn out to be a neuropysch it also could be a developmental pediatrician, Autism Clinic, or other professional.

SRL

What's weird is sometimes he acts totally "typical" and others times he is unable to function at all...

PS this is very typical of kids at our site, regardless of diagnosis. You may know of adults who have some pretty signifant impairments who do the same thing.

BusynMember

I echo SRL. My son can seem very normal when he is relaxed and with people he knows and trusts. Then he can have a conversation with the television in his room :redface: (no, he does NOT hallucinate--he talks to himself). Or he can keep his eyes down and stand off in a corner when he is threatened by a large or even small group of people he's unfamiliar with. People tend to think he's shy because of this.
His closest friend is also an Aspie. It's interesting to hear them talking nonstop upstairs to each other because my son is a terrible communicator unless he is talking about his videogames and computers. Basically, that's what these two talk about. I believe Aspies KNOW how they feel VERY WELL, but don't know how to put their feelings into words. Many can not really have a conversation, even if their vocabularies are very advanced (which is common) or if they are extremely intelligent (also common). They still don't "get" how to do a give and take conversation. Abstract ideas confuse them. They may memorize a book by rote, yet not be able to explain what they did on a vacation, even though they KNOW what they did. They can't put the experience into words. If this sounds familiar, you may have an Aspie. They are great kids. But they need interventions at home and at school, and it's not a psychological problem. It's neurological. So they need different types of help from kids with psychiatric issues.
Note: Some Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids are VERY oppositional. They get extremely frustrated.