New Patient Paperwork - GRRRRR

susiestar

Roll With It
Jessie's appointment is with the pain doctor tomorrow. I asked all kinds of questions, including about this. I was told that I could do the paperwork in the 15 minutes before teh appointment, so don't worry. "It is just a page or two" was the exact phrase.

So today I get a set of 4 pages, double sided, tiny print to fill out. They want me to bring all MRIs, doctor notes (they NEVER give patients that around here!) etc from any other doctor she has seen.

If I don't have COMPLETE paperwork, or arrive early enough to do this **** before the appointment then they will cancel it!!! What if it didn't arrive???

They also have a rather snippy note saying they do NOT prescribe medication for acute pain. Gee, she hurts all the time. Yes, non-medication things need to happen to help. 1000% agree. But SOMETIMES pain medications also need to be rx'd. So what pain doctor deals with that? Most don't even talk to kids!

I hope tomorrow goes better than this note says it will. It seems to be mostly about adults. Heck, your "welcome' letter flat out says that this doctor doesn't treat this, and that doctor doesn't treat that.

The LAST sentence says that "we treat spinal arthritic conditions for patients who have not gotten help elsewhere. That is the focus of what we do."

So is tomorrow going to be a waste of time??? I PRAY this is about the docs who see adults mostly.

Of course I cannot call for clarification. Cause our mail comes at about 5 pm.

Sigh. Please pray for us.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Isn't this the place you already spoke to over the phone about her specifics? And they very much thought they could help out?

Just bring what you have and see where it goes. The fact that they did not give you much time to fill everything out or assemble the records they're asking for is NOT your fault. If they REALLY need them, they can call the other doctor's office and request them, and would probably get them sooner than you could anyway.

I hope they can give you some answers and some direction for her treatment!

Josie

When I go see a new doctor for my daughter, I bring a letter that I have written that explains the problem, along with her history, and what we have tried, if relevant. I put that right there with the paperwork that they want filled out. It gives me a chance to make sure I feel that they have the whole story. Otherwise, sometimes they just have their questions and maybe don't give me a chance to give the total picture. Most of them seem to like this and quite frankly, if they don't, they probably aren't going to be much help anyway.

I know it might be kind of late for you to put something like this together on top of the last minute paperwork, but if possible, it might help you make your case that she needs pain medications now.

Good luck tomorrow.

jal

susiestar, I hope that's not the case. I know you have been through so many and haven't really gotten anywhere. Good thoughts for a great appointment tomorrow. You guys really deserve some help.

Sending up prayers for a productive appointment!

witzend

Keep your temper while you're there. Go in with a positive outlook. You don't want to get off on the wrong foot with them. At the very least, they may have ideas about where the right place to go to is.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Susie I agree with Witz - keep your cool.

The note says they do not prescribe for ACUTE pain - nothing about long term chronic pain. There is a huge difference.

You'll get there & get things done. Your GP & neuro doctor should be able to fax the records over - just call your clinics.

Keeping fingers crossed that this MD can find some relief for J.

crazymama30

Well, if you had acute pain then you would be seen by your primary doctor or someone who specialized in whatever caused that acute pain, ie a surgeon if you were having surgical pain.

Chronic pain is different. Many times the cause is unclear.

Hope the appointment goes well. The letter may be used to scare off those who are only looking for medications

susiestar

Roll With It
Thanks all! The appointment went well. I posted on the thread Shari started asking me how it went.

I filled out the paperwork in the car as best I could. The staff was great (the nurse who took us to the room and did height and weight brought us water and hot chocolate as we waited for the doctor.) and we got enough filled out.

I was shocked. Most times I spend lots of time filling out the forms and the docs don't ever even LOOK at the papers. NONE of them. They want me to explain all of it. So why give me stuff to fill out?

This doctor actually READ the forms!! I have never in all of my years and years of seeing docs had a doctor who READ the form instead of asking you about it!! I was glad I didn't get sarcastic when I filled them out.

So this time the forms were worth filling out. Thanks for the tips and everything. You ladies are the BEST.