New to forum

marchboy

I have 1 difficult child who is ten and I stumbled across this forum hoping to find some sense of relief. After doing a ton of research, I think that he might have a touch of ODD. He has been diagnosed with ADHD since he was 6. He is very angry all the time which depresses me in the worst way. I just don't understand how or why life can be that hard for someone that young. He wakes up angry. He goes to bed angry. We can't say one word to him without getting attitude and yelled at. Everything. Everything. Everything pisses him off. Everything. He takes no responsibility for anything and always has excuses - no matter how unreasonable they are. Some are so completely unrealistic that it is absurd. I'm so tired of him being mad at the world. It's not fair to him and it surely isn't fair to us.

I need help.

smallworld

Welcome! I'm glad you found us, but sorry you needed to.

When you get a chance, please go to the User CP at the top lefthand corner of this page and create a signature similar to mine below. It helps us keep the details of your family straight when we're responding to your posts.

Sorry for the questions, but your answers will help us help you:

What kind of doctor diagnosed him?
Is he taking any medications? If so, what and what doses?
How does he do in school, both academically and with peers?
Any sensory issues (for example, sensitivity to clothing tags, loud noises, food textures)?
Any developmental or speech delays?
Any substance abuse or mental health issues in the family tree?

You might want to get your hands on a copy of The Explosive Child by Ross Greene. It has helped many of us here parent our extra-challenging children.

Again, welcome.

marchboy

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the tip.

What kind of doctor diagnosed him?
He was diagnosed at around 6 years old by a Psychologist. His issues at home or school were not severe, but obvious. Especially in school, he was falling behind in everything because he couldn't sit still long enough to concentrate. HESITANTLY medicated in conjunction with his pediatrician.
Is he taking any medications? If so, what and what doses?
Started on lowest dose of Adderall and bumped by 5 mg twice in the last four years. Currently at 15 mg. Only takes it Monday-Friday during the school year.
How does he do in school, both academically and with peers?
School is no longer an issue for him. He caught up academically and makes A's and B's and does really well on standardized tests. Most behavioral problems have subsided as well.
Any sensory issues (for example, sensitivity to clothing tags, loud noises, food textures)?
N/A that I know of.
Any developmental or speech delays?
Reading and writing are slightly below average but not a major issue.
Any substance abuse or mental health issues in the family tree?
No substance abuse. No specific issues. I am very angry and have a short fuse. husband is passive and has signs of adult ADHD. His brother is very emotional and sometimes depressive. And his sister is his twin, emotionally.

RbkrBkr

I'm new to this Forum but I just want to say, you are not alone and it is very nice to have this website to have support for the tired and weary parents. Head up! Alone we can only accomplish but so much but together the possibilities are endly...

I really need to find where all these codes are. I know about the medical terms but the others I am having trouble figuring out. I probably have a difficult child or a gcp but then again I might not! ;)

busywend

Welcome Marchboy!

I have to ask, what have you learned for yourself to control your anger? What techniques have you come up with to help?
Can any of them be modified for a 6 year old? If you work on it together you might both benefit. Even signals to each other that only the 2 of you know.

BusynMember

Marchboy, did he have any early speech delays? Is he a quirky kid? Does he understand how to socialize with his same age peers?

We need answers to his genetic family tree. Is your hub his bio. father? These kids inherit a lot from their biological family. Behavior is often VERY genetic and disorders usually inherited. So family questions are basically about the genetic family tree. I have adopted four kids and they tend to be a lot like their biological parents, even if they never lived with them or even met them!

Do you see a difference with the Adderrall? Do you think his diagnosis is right?

Has he ever seen a neuropsychologist?

aeroeng

Mom of Three
It sounds like there is more going on then he has been diagnosed for. ADHD is an attention issue not an anger one. Unless it causes content struggles at school which then cause the anger, the ADHD is not a cause for the anger. Also ODD is a very generic term and basically only means he is defiant to an excessive level. It can help in getting accommodations, but does not really provide a lot of help on what is wrong and what needs to be done.