NOT the way I wanted to clean my closet--CRASH!

TerryJ2

So, you don't really have to read anything but the subject heading to know the basics.

:sigh:
I spent 1-1/2 hrs ironing and still didn't finish. (YEah, smart thing to do on a hot day ...) so I brought an armful of my blouses upstairs, shoved aside all my summer AND winter clothes (duh), hung them in the closet, and CRACK! Down went the dowel, the insert ripped from the wall.
I ran to the hardware store, picked up another insert holder thing, screwed it in, (actually had to use the drill), inserted the dowel ... and it didn't fit. The previous homeowner Gerryrigged the old one and it was very thin, so my nice, new fat wooden piece didn't allow the dowel to slide in. (One side is a complete circle, the other side a half circle.) So I have to find a friend with-a saw and take 1/4" off of the dowel.

Meanwhile, I moved my winter clothes to the guest room, and my summer clothes are getting more and more wrinkled. So if I show up in Myrtle Beach wearing really wrinkled clothes, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
Oh, yeah, and difficult child is back to his normal, stubborn self. He refused to help. I guess it wasn't a big enough emergency. :imok:

Mattsmom277

Ugh! What a annoyance, don't you hate things like this?? I KNOW mine is going to do just that if I don't fix it, it's heavily bent in the middle and one day I suspect a crash. You think I'd have just fixed it right? Perhaps your post will motivate me, although I suspect it will be that way until my fateful closet day. On a plus side, your wrinkled clothes will unwrinkle within minutes in this heat wave, hide that iron!

TerryJ2

You can buy an extra metal bar to screw into the wall behind the dowel to support it in the middle. Just a thought. :)

TerryJ2

Oh, and a piece of Humble Pie ... 2 days ago, I told husband that his closet was a mess and he had way too many clothes hanging in there and it was going to crash down.
Now who's sorry?
:embarrassed:

keista

LMAO! See where ironing on a hot day gets you?????

Funny I bought a long dowel, and a set of those hangy pieces at the Home Depot today as well. Mine's not for a closet, though. Making a room divider.

H

HaoZi

There's an idea... go into the apartment squatter is using and do some strategic hidden cuts on every closet and shelf.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I'm going to press EVERYTHING I own - even my socks - just so I look better than you ------meah! (laughing at the thought)

TerryJ2

I had a friend in HS whose mom made all the kids iron their underwear.
LOL.
You can't look at mine.

Oh, and the metal bar is called a support. Duh.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Hey, I'm just impressed that you own an iron. :winks: Apparently none of my SILs on husband's side do. And THAT'S why mother in law said I was special. :rofl:

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I'm glad I do know how to iron...

The pants I got Jett? Perfect in the waist. But he's got a short inseam. Have you ever tried to find a 32x26?!?! Yeah. So the 32x30s got hemmed. And ironed. With cuffs so we can let them out. White shirt - ironed. LOL!

DammitJanet

your husband should have known how to iron Step...better than you and if he says he cant, he is lying to you! LOL.

Jamie owned two irons and left me is extra. Cory even owns an iron! Not that I actually use mine for anything other than ironing on patches or hemming a cuff with iron on tape.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Janet, husband does know how to iron. Does his own ironing. This was for Jett, for the funeral. The ironing on the pants was for hemming/cuffing purposes... The shirt is brand new.

I had to find the iron before I could start. I hate ironing.

donna723

I just make it a practice not to buy any clothing that needs to be ironed (or dry cleaned!). But I do have an iron and use it maybe twice a year on curtains, table cloths, etc. And you can tell that I have an iron because of the iron-shaped burnt mark on my bedroom carpet from when I knocked the iron off of the ironing board the last time I used it! For informational purposes, a hot iron can melt carpet fibers in approximaely 1.1 seconds and there is no way on earth to get rid of that mark! I've tried!

TerryJ2

I thought I'd purchased things that didn't need ironing, too, but that's b4 my husband decided to do the laundry and pile it all on top of the dryer until it hits the ceiling. Those wrinkles never come out. I can't tell you how many loads I've re-washed. Sigh.

donna723

I'd smack somebody upside the head who did that to my laundry! I try to pull things out of the dryer just a little bit before they're completely dry, then put them on hangers. If I forget and it sits in the dryer a while and wrinkles, I throw in a wet wash cloth and run it a little while longer so the wrinkles steam out. This probably wouldn't work though for things that had been wadded up and sitting for a while. Nothing I hate worse than ironing!