Observations

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
I try to avoid the news as best I can. However a new pop up caught my eye and I was appalled by it.
There was a pizza delivery person caught on camera in an elevator eating the toppings from a pizza he was to be delivering.

He was identified and fired. The comments went from critical to harsh.

I am on the side of why. Why would a young man a College Student working so this? When you look at the footage you can see be is being extremely cautious. MKes me think...was this his only meal of the day.

The woman in the fancy condo who ordered the Pizza was outraged. She demanded action and the employee was fired.

I may have been enticed if this were me to tell my condo security to let me speak to the young man. If I discovered he was a jerk then take punitive action.

If I discovered a struggling student who can’t afford to eat I might have been enticed to ask him to take the pizza for himself and order another one for myself. I would also be inclined to make a community project to pseudo adopt the young man and find a way to supply him food while he worked and completes his studies. Granny’s with Caserols...or what ever the village can do.

I bet the woman who ordered the pizza is a HUGE OPRAH fan and likes all those spiritual videos on FB. Like the one with the boy who can’t afford a cake for his G Pas Birthday and the shop keeper gives it to him. In turn the boy grows up to be a doctor and provides the shop keeper medicine that he can’t afford. Ya all the likes in the fake book universe but don’t mess with my pizza or it’s a throw down and firing without question.

Thoughts on what you would have done?

BusynMember

What the boy did was inappropriate and dangerous and very unsanitary. What if he had a disease?

I would have turned him in. I would not have thought about why. I work in a restaurant and lots of the young people just act silly because they are young, but they are supervised. Any extra food is eaten by staff and food is cheaper for staff even if they buy. I am a bleeding heart for those who are on the streets and give lots of money to them. I can't just walk by. But they aren't putting their germs on my food. Or their fingers.

Anyone who does that needs to find a different job in my opinion. No matter why he did it, there is really no excuse. I doubt he is not able to eat, but if so and you tell me I will give you food, even part of the pizza. If you put your mouth on my food first though, you will be reported and I want a new pizza by the way. I am not rich. Even if I was that is not the point. I deserve clean food. I gag at the thought of even sharing a drink. I ordered a pizza, did not ask to figure out a young man's behavior. I did that four times already. I did nothing to this young man. I have helped many like him. All I ask is that you keep your germs off my food and leave me to my own germs lol.

Anyhow, I am still up from working the late shift at my restaurant and I saw this. And that is my thoughts.

Have a peaceful night :)

Last edited:

ksm

It's a hard situation to be in. When it comes to hungry people, i err on the side of compassion. LBL...glad you think of the "why" factor...and not the "yuck" factor. Ksm

BusynMember

To view the video that went viral go to YouTube and type in Russian pizza delivery man who ate toppings off pizza. Judge for yourself. This wouldn't fly with me though

Last edited:

AppleCori

I seriously doubt this was his only way to get something to eat that day.

If he was really desperately hungry, I’m sure his supervisor would let him eat on credit, or a co-worker would loan him a bit of money or a granola bar or something.

Or he could have waited for his tip and bought a meal with that.

My daughter had a boyfriend in college that worked part-time delivering pizzas at night. She told me he made $100-200 per night in tips. He was handsome and gregarious, so maybe he made more than others, but maybe not.

The thought of someone eating off the food I ordered makes me want to throw up.

BusynMember

Watch the youtube video. The apartment he delivered to doesn't look posh and he is grinning all the time. It is easy to make me feel sorry for you but that is disgusting in my opinion And yes it is in Russia.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
LBL

I think that we are more compassionate now that we've been through so much with our sons and now we look past what may be obvious to others.

I know that describes me to a T.

I think it's very sweet that you look deeper into it and the possibility that this young man may have been hungry.

I look at my whole world differently now. It will never be the same.

Littleboylost

Interesting perspective. I understand your concern about your food especially being in the food industry.

I question the basing action as something that falls off the grid of normal behaviour. And as a health care behaviour I am drawn to question why vs react to the action without reason.

Perhaps employers should offer food and that may not always happen. Just last week in Alberta there was a Burger King found with illegals being housed in the basement of the restaurant.

How can we assume this fellow was on a legitimate work contract or even truly a student.

I am not so fussed about him eating food. I would be more concerned if he performed an unhealthy volatile act towards the food.

I don’t think he should be allowed to maintain his job. I do feel investigation is warranted
I didn’t see the part about Russia.

It may be a different situation there than it is here.
It took place here in Canada.

Littleboylost

I didn’t see the part about Russia.

It may be a different situation there than it is here.
It took place her in Canada not Russia. In the same province where local authorities found immigrant workers being housed in the basement of a Burger King.

Littleboylost

Watch the youtube video. The apartment he delivered to doesn't look posh and he is grinning all the time. It is easy to make me feel sorry for you but that is disgusting in my opinion And yes it is in Russia.
His face was so fuzzed out I didn’t see the grin. I will have to look on the YouRube version.

BusynMember

The video I saw was in Russia. No matter where it is, there are ways to eat that dont involve soiling somebody elses food. I will look for a video from Canada but he needs to get out of the food industry to me. Children and the elderly eat those pizzas and who knows what he may have? The gross stuff I know people do with food is why I never eat fast food. I knew kids who used to spit in food and drinks at a Burger King near where I grew up. One was my friend's brother. The kids thought it was funny. I don't remember them ever getting caught.

BusynMember

Ok, it was caught on CCTV, whatever that is. Perhaps it happened in Canada and the boy was Russian. There is nothing about a Canadian doing it and supposedly the video went viral.

I feel deeply sorry for the homeless. I volunteered at a homeless shelter and give them food and money when I see them. But I draw the line at people who are harming others and sticking your hands in someone's food to me is risking contamination. It does not evoke my sympathy. A lot does. That doesn't.

Littleboylost

SWOT I saw the Russian Video different country same offence. Just how common is this behaviour. WOW I may never order pizza for delivery again.

susiestar

Roll With It
I have been a pizza delivery driver. I have known people who delivered for different pizza companies. I cannot think of a situation where a driver would be so broke he would be starving and only able to get food by picking toppings off of a customer's pizza. I am sorry, but that is just a not realistic. A major part of the reason that ANYONE works for a restaurant is to get free/extremely cheap food. It just is. You don't starve when you work for a restaurant.

I can see a driver with a bad case of the munchies doing what that driver did. I cannot see a manager having to be asked to fire the driver. In any of the pizza places that I knew drivers or managers, it would have been an automatic firing to do that. Especially if you were stupid enough to do it where you could be caught on camera.

Using your fingers on a customer's food, especially to eat off of that food, is disgusting. Who knows what you have done as you drove, what germs you have picked up as you touched things in your car? Then to put your hands in the food, in your mouth, and back in the food? Gross, disgusting, and more than enough to make me want to go and vomit.

I am all for being kind to people and adopting people. I grew up in a family that believes in this. Doing this with someone who has violated your food to the point that you let him spread disease is not being kind. It is letting him learn by experiencing the logical consequences of his actions. If you let him give you a sob story such as being starving and unable to eat anything except for the toppings he can steal from customers' pizzas, you are enabling him. If he is that bad off, he needs to go to food banks, not your pizza for his food. That is just reality. You are helping him experience the logical and natural consequences of his actions.

Lil

Pizza delivery driver caught on camera eating toppings

There. That's the guy.

I am not a germaphobe, but yuck. I'm pretty sure there is always enough toppings that fall off on the cutting surface, or mistake orders that get returned, that no one is that hungry. He sat it on the FLOOR of the nasty elevator, picked the toppings off with his fingers and then put it back. He may as well have spat on it. :sick:

I had a girlfriend who worked in a very high end restaurant. They used to "bus-tub" their dinners. That is, customers would leave shrimp or steak or whatever and the wait staff/kitchen staff would nap it after it was taken from the table. Gross...but at least they were only victimizing themselves.

BusynMember

You get tips as a delivery man. Go to McDonalds. They have dollar menus. I don't believe this kid is starving. Just gross.

Susie, I thought of the munchies too.