Ok...Im getting tired of them now!

DammitJanet

I have another possum! Yes its a baby and yes its kinda cute but Im getting rather tired of the lil fellas just wandering around my house. I was just sitting here watching TV and noticed one scurrying down the hallway into my laundry room! I was shocked. I thought we got rid of it. Evidently we have a family.

He turned around and left the laundry room and headed back down the hallway but evidently turned around to come back towards the kitchen but then he saw me and ran away. He must be in one of the empty bedrooms but I cant find him.

Just call me the possum lady.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Possumbly he was just heading to the kitchen to make a sandwich... :tongue:

Where are your dogs when all this is going on???

DammitJanet

Buddy....the toy terrorizer...was sitting next to me on the couch. Normally he will bark at things like this but today he must not have seen it.

My other dog lives outside in his new fenced in yard. That is a huge big deal. Cory bought a whole bunch of fencing for real cheap last week and fenced in a nice area for his dog. Now Rusty has a big space to run and play that is shady in the summer and a dog box. He is so happy!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Don't send me the possum. I tried possum once and didn't at all like how it tasted!

(Honestly. I've also eaten racoon and it ranks up there with possum. Squirrel is pretty good, though they look kind of like naked rats once peeled)

SRL

I had some hanging out around my deck and the trick to getting rid of them is to disrupt their daytime sleep. I put out blinking Christmas tree lights and blasted country music out there for a few days and that did the trick.

DammitJanet

You mean this thing is sleeping in the daytime and wandering at night?!?! IN MY HOUSE!!!

But but but...I see him/her wandering during the day too!

Maybe I need to blast some ghetto bump bump music because it is probably used to country music by now...lol. I dont have any xmas lights. My tree is prehung.

witzend

Sorry, sweetie. Possums are something we steer the car towards in this neck of the woods. They're kind of nasty.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
It knows you have a good heart and take in all sorts. LOL
It packed it's little possum bags and moved in. The rest of the family might be right on it's little rat like tail! (No offense Star*)
I like Possums but I don't know how I would feel about one cruising around my house and night or cuddling up with me while I slept!

My cruel Husband and his friends, back when we were dating, they lived out in the country. They had possums something fierce, they would put "Dave's Insanity Sauce" mixed with Mac & Cheese... the Possums didn't come around much after that.
Dave's is just a very HOT sauce... we used to put it on our eggs. VERY HOT... Habanero's

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Janet if the lil fella befriends your dogs and cats you're in trouble. He'll never leave.

We had one for several years. Showed up right after we bought the house. Ate with the cats every single night. Nichole even got pics of him. Wasn't scared of people, dogs or cats. Sweet thing actually. I think it may have been raised by people it was so friendly.

Broke our hearts the day we found him dead (hit by a car) at the end of the alley. But then, he was smart enough to stay OUT of my house. lol Although it bad weather he'd sleep under the porch.

I left him alone cuz he caused no trouble. I don't know what I'd do if they were coming inside though. I know I would find a way to stop it. Possums and coons are supposed to be the highes ranked carriers of rabies at this time.

Hugs

Star*

call 911........call 911
Okay - I'm going to clear up some misconceptions about possums.

I've rehabbed them for years. Also squirrels, birds, bunnies - anything that gets injured somehow found it's way to our door.

I really love possums. They are the most difficult child-like critters known to man in that they will and should (for release) open their jaws, hiss and reveal about 50 razor sharp teeth. In all the years I've been handling them or taking a Mother out from under a house with babies I've never been bitten. They really don't like humans but once they find a food source in a suburb it's hard to get rid of them. Most of the trappers we know will come and get the animal and then by some exterminator law must kill it. Even the animal control will tell you that. If you catch and release they find their way back or it disrupts the balance of the area you release them in.

We've stopped on the road and checked pouches of dead Moms for babies to rehab. If you don't know what you are doing or don't have the time to dedicate to rehabbing - they will die so it's better not to wing it or try your best. If you find a little one? Get it to a wildlife center where they will get it a proper diet of (yuk factor of 8) most anykind of fruit, grasses, dead mice, carrion, snakes, beatles, earthworms, crickets, grasshoppers, they do like cat food....but it's not the best for them - they're just hungry and it won't do you or the possum any favors to keep the food out where it can get to it. Take up all animal food unless you plan on having a regular visitor like Daisy's. They will literally eat just about anything.

As far as carrying rabies? All mamals have the potential to carry rabies. But possums are not mamals they are marsupials and not carriers of rabies per se. Their body temps. are lower than mamals so that could have something to do with occurences of rabies being extremely rare. You're more likely to get it from bats, foxes, or raccoons than you are possums. You can check with the National Opossum Society. (yes there is such a thing)

I DO NOT recommend anyone trying to handle them but if you must go near them don't go without gloves. The best thing you can do is trap it in a baited live trap and then cover the cage with a sheet or towel - take it to a remote area far away from houses and civilization - and let it go be a possum. You also do not want for it to get used to you especially if you want it gone. Once they get acclimated to humans etc - they're not leaving and would do poorly out in the wild.

Possums don't seem to mind anything except loud noise (hence the hissing and mouth open - see me? I'm a BIG SCARY possum) and we say "Yes you are." and then toss a towel on him and put him in a cat carrier then take him to the far woods. The best time to release them is during the day so they can see where they are and find a place to hang before it gets dark.

They are North Americas ONLY marsupial. My best advice to you Janet is to get a trap - bait it with chicken (KFC FRIED OR GRILLED makes no difference) and once you catch him do not be surprised if there are more. ESPECIALLY if he's about palm size. Don't freak but Mommas can have up to 13 in a litter. :tongue:

I tell you - SEND ME THE POSSUM. lol

DammitJanet

Thats the way we catch them...towel. We tried the gripper stick and telling him to play possum but oddly enough he doesnt understand he is supposed to play dead...lmao.

Oh, If that were me, I would run out of the house as fast as I could and not come back in until the exterminator assured me it was, or will be, exterminated!!! (Even then I would wait a few days just to be sure)

donna723

They seem pretty harmless to me. We had one that came around for well over a year. It was totally white and really big - he ate good! As soon as it was dark he'd come up on the back porch and help finish any cat food that was left in the pan. I could hear him crunching. The cats didn't seem to care one way or another. They'd just be sitting there unconcerned while he was eating. When he got finished, he'd waddle off and disappear into the bushes. I haven't seen him for a while ... I kinda miss him!