OK People....are you ready for trick or treaters?

H

HaoZi

I always think it's amazing that you would walk blocks (and our blocks are looonnnnngggg) to get free candy when you could hit CVS the next morning and get it 1/2 off!!!!

Awww, where's the fun in that, Mom?

DDD

Over the years I've adapted to having the City Council choose a different night. The idea behind the change was to avoid school nights out for the children. Actually, however, I think the adults are using the 31st for their own parties, lol. One small city tradition that I like is that the preschoolers and other small children trick or treat the merchants around the circle for a couple of hours on a school day so there are no "big" kids involved. The policemen are present...believe it or not in an inconspicious way... so that unfamiliar drivers don't pose a danger. It's fun to read about different traditions. DDD

PS: One little boy reached into the basket last night and said with alarm "it's already aten". Evidently husband had grabbed s Reese's and left the wrapper in the basket. I've laughed thinking of that child at least a half a dozen times. His expression and his words...LOL!

donna723

Well, I had an interesting night last night!

I have no idea if any little kids will come around tomorrow night, probably not, but the teenagers were out in full force last night and so were the police! My little house is on a huge lot that takes up half of a city block, street to street. The other half of the block is a city-owned parking lot, separated from my yard by just a shallow drainage ditch. The back edge of this parking lot is only about 15 feet from the side of my house! It's the hangout for the high school kids and I've called the police several times when their music is loud enough to rattle the glass in my windows, or if I see them drinking over there, honking horns, or throwing their garbage and bottles into my yard. Yes, I am turning into that mean ol' neighbor lady!
:rollingpin:
So last night they were pulling in and out of the parking lot but nothing outrageous - yet. I had put leashes on two of my dogs and had just opened the front door to take them outside ... at the exact same moment that two of these moron kids were getting ready to step up on the side of my front porch, roll of toilet paper in hand! Freebie, my bigger mixed breed, who has a bark like a dog ten times her size, started barking and snarling and trying to get at them! She has never bitten anyone but she is very protective of me and wouldn't hesitate to take a chunk out of anyone she perceived as a threat to me. My little Trace (my youngest Boston), who is a sweet gentle cuddle-bunny, started barking too, mostly because Freebie was barking. Of course, these kids had no idea that it was purely coincidence that I came out the door with the dogs when I did. They probably thought I was going to shoot them or set the dogs on them! I hollered out a few choice obscenities in my most authoritarian "worked-in-a-prison-for-24-years" voice, the kids let out a yell, the toilet paper went flying up in the air, the kids started sprinting for the parking lot and cleared that ditch like a couple of track stars, jumped in to their car and went right over the curb to get out of the parking lot! Since Halloween can get out of hand here I called the police ... again ... and they sent an officer who had a talk with the kids still in the lot and most of them left. Funny in a way but a bit creepy too. I'm 65 years old and far from helpless, but I live here alone and the thought of someone sneaking in to my yard and right up on my front porch make me feel a little "violated", like my space was invaded, if you know what I mean.

And not even an hour after the police had dispursed the kids from the parking lot, all four dogs started barking and snarling towards the front door, the hair on their backs standing up on end! And this time I was MAD! Enough was enough, and I got Freebie on a leash and whipped open that front door loaded for bear! And there were no kids anywhere! And then I looked down and saw this enormous POSSOM strolling across my front porch! I didn't know that possoms even got that big but this one was fat and at least two feet long, not counting the tail! He was slowly ambling across the porch, gave me this look like, "Hi there!", and shuffled down to the end of the porch where I feed the outside cats. He ate a few bites of cat food and got a drink of water from their bowl and went on about his business! And I am so, SO glad that I didn't call the police again on what turned out to be a friendly possom!

DDD

I'd never admit it in person but "this" generation of kids intimidates me. Believe me I am seen by difficult child's as a force to be reckon'd with but the younger teens don't seem to understand boundaries. Sad to say I have been exposed many times to difficult child's who have been in prison etc. but they always "yes, Ma'am" me and save their toughness for others. Even difficult child#1 comments on the lack of respect the younger teens display toward adults. I understand the concern. Glad you have the dogs to alert you...even if it is a possum. by the way, I'm not into animals but I think you need to disinfect the bowls etc. because rabies is quite common with possums...at least in Fl. Hugs. DDD

Malika

For all of you who are disenchanted with Hallowe'en, you should move to France. There are NO children, big or small, knocking on doors to ask for anything! No people outside dressed as witches, ghosts or monsters. It is celebrated a little - in schools or activity centres - but nothing beyond that.
In Britain, "trick or treating" is now common but is a recent invention, that was imported from... well, you know where.