Ok, so if you were on a very limited income, where would you live?

BusynMember

This is also possible...we could downsize to a two bedroom home with a basement and make the basement into living space for Sonic. Guess we'll see. This is two years away from now.

DammitJanet

My thing is I dont think I will ever rent again. After owning a home without having a payment, you just cant see paying rent to someone else. Even if I have to make repairs on this home it makes more sense than to pay someone else for their property. I own this. Why would I move and line someone else's pockets? If I had to move, I would sell this one and get a smaller one and if I had to make a small payment for a couple of years, at least I was putting it towards something for me.

The new HVAC system we just put in was the best thing we did. Cut our utilities down dramatically. When it comes down to time for you to look for one, I can tell you what type I got.

BusynMember

Janet, I don't blame you. If I ever inherit enough money, I WILL buy something for the exact reason you stated. We have rented long enough.

Star*

call 911........call 911
If I didn't have any relatives?

I would move to Alaska, stake a claim, build a cabin and live out my remaining days in near solitude with nature.....in a hand built cabin ------away from people. I think. Watching things........

OR I would move to Kenya and live with the people there ----and travel, teaching. WIthout my family I really don't have anything - so I'd either want to be completely alone or teaching. Not sure how it would hit me, but I don't have many left. Mom and Dude are about it.

Tiapet

Old Hand
You know, this thread came at an interesting time. My answer is and probably will be the same but this just happened.

I have never been in a position to be able to buy a house. Probably never will be either. I have no rich relatives, let alone any living relatives but my mother who is the farthest from rich. I don't play lottery (except that last fiasco with mega millions huge jackpot and we all know how THAT trip went! LOL).

Suddenly, just yesterday my current LL asked me " Have you ever considered buying a home? Not that we're actively seeking to sell." I know they aren't currently but I also know that they may in the future as they are retiring in about 2 years and she just recently got diagnosed with uterine cancer. I'm not sure how well she is actually doing at this moment after undergoing surgery and treatment. Gut tells me perhaps not so well as she alerted me to the fact that they wanted to take out a loan since she had to be out of work due to it.

The point of this, here is an amazing opportunity that just landed in my lap that would not have any other way and will not be a traditional type sale. Though I still doubt I would do it or that I could do it but for once I actually "thought" about home ownership!

Just surprised at myself I guess. I guess that was the point of my thinking.

SRL

Do check things out carefully in advance and not just go with general trends. My dad spent his last two years in a pretty dumpy little town and I was surprised at how high the cost of living was. Rentals were higher there than in a larger nicer town 45 minutes away.

Star*

call 911........call 911
DF said - "we do live on a very limited income. I don't understand the question." - Outta the mouths of men.