Okay all you armchair psychiatrists...

klmno

Interesting....I need to not diagnosis my mom I guess. LOL!! She doesn't have the suicidal aspect of this. Maybe I'm just seeing some things that fit, but some that don't.

I agree that anxiety is under-rated, whether it's a situation of starting as a chemical imbalance or the result of another factor (environmental, or one's processing, or whatever).

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
While I am diagnosis'd as having BiPolar (BP) pretty straight forward, my psychiatrist says I show many signs of a personality disorder. I have pretty bad PTSD and most of the SX's of Borderline (BPD).
I think Janet and I have similar pasts as far as some of the junk we have dealt with.
I took AD's without having any issues.
But MS work better for me.
I have mania. I have racing thoughts... I have all of the BiPolar (BP) sx's. At this point I really don't care what my diagnosis is as long as my TX works and my medications work.
My Father has Narcissistic Personality Disorder as does my Brother. While my Mothers side of the family had BiPolar (BP).

But I do understand how it gets very confusing for people especially for kids and for people who don't have a psychiatrist and are stuck with just a family doctor.
I really feel for people who don't have this place.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
When I speak of abandonment in the context of Borderline (BPD) it is way beyond feeling alone and needing a distraction (not to diminish your distress at the time gcvmom).

Didn't take it as such... :) I in no way see myself in this category. But definitely in the anxiety camp!

Toto, I agree with your stance that it doesn't really matter what you call it, as long as whatever I'm doing to treat it works and I feel better!

With respect to the abandonment issues, it seems to me that Borderline (BPD) and attachment disorders can go hand-in-hand.

Sometimes I think I've got some quirks in this area that boil down to trust issues because of my childhood. The part about invalidating feelings and not being allowed to express one's self really rings true to me.

Mindfulness is used to treat a lot of psychological problems -- it was suggested for the ADHD'ers in my family! It can help a lot with anxiety issues, too.