wldinnh

In trying to figure out what is going on with my 10 year old difficult child (Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD), ODD, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), chronic tic disorder) I several times stumbled across info on Tourettes that seemed to describe her, except it usually mentioned ADD/ADHD, which she doesn't show any signs of. Last week the psychiatrist who we met with us/her a few times for medications for the Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) mentioned it to us. Neither my ex or I have any knowledge of Tourettes in our families, but alot of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). Tourettes is supposed to be very hereditary. I read today that Tourettes in females often expresses itself more as Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). My sister struggled with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) as child and still does as an adult. I'm wondering if this was a mild case of Tourettes. Her oldest has Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), ODD and ADD, but no tics (that anyone's ever noticed). I am going to make an appointment. with a neurologist. It some ways, it explains alot so I feel some relief about this possibly being "it", but in other ways it makes me want to cry because if the tics get worse before they get better, her adolescence is going to be VERY hard, as if it isn't hard enough to be an adolescent. Anyone else had Tourettes mentioned about their difficult child? by the way, psyschiatrist prescribed buspar for Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) last week. Still seeing psychologist for cognitive behavioral therapy on Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) with fairly decent results so far.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Travis has a diagnosis of tourettes. His tics range from vocal to non vocal and wax and wane. He doesn't have a bad case though, so medications were never really needed.

It's a good idea to get an evaluation with a qualified neuro if you're suspecting Tourette's Syndrome. I got lucky and found a neuro at children's who specializes in it by accident.

Hugs

smallworld

In addition to a lot of mood issues, my son has a diagnosis of tic disorder, but not Tourettes, because his tics are motor and not vocal (you need both kinds of tics for a diagnosis of Tourettes). My daughter (easy child/difficult child 3) has a diagnosis of anxiety with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) tendencies. I, too, have heard that tics and anxiety disorders are genetically related, with boys presenting with tics and girls with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD).

Like Lisa's son, my son's tics wax and wane and are exacerbated by stimulant medications for ADHD and by anxiety (so treatment for anxiety may actually help your difficult child's tics). My son is going through puberty right now, and the tics are no worse than when he was 10 years old. In fact, this summer we have hardly seen a tic at all. FWIW, if your difficult child's tic ever get to a point where they are socially disabling, there are medications available that can help control them (Clonidine and Risperdal are two that I know of).

I think an evaluation by a pediatric neurologist is a wise move. Good luck.

mum2JK&TH

My difficult child has Tourettes and I have similar fears as you do. I hear they get worse with puberty. Lately we have had more motor tics than anything, but he does have vocal tics too. He is on Clonidine to control the tics because the only thing that works for his ADHD is Concerta so it worsens the tics. We have no Tourettes in the family and no known Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), but I do believe I may have a very mild case of it, but haven't been able to admit it out loud.

We have tried to keep difficult child active in a sport (currently hockey) or an activity that he is successful at. We have found that he makes friends this way and they don't seem to make as big of a deal with his tics. Hopefully it'll continue to work like that.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
My difficult child's original diagnosis at 10 was "Tourette's Syndrome, manifesting itself in very typical Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) behaviors and slight ADHD". She had some facial tics, and then later some trunk tics which included her shoulders and stomach, but the DR suggested that those tics may have been exacerbated by the medication they were trying to treat the Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) with - duh. We sought diagnosis due to severe 'rage attacks'

Her tics slowed down at about 13/14, but her moods and and ADHD became more prominent. Since then, her rages are more in the form of impulsive behaviors followed by severe remorse and anger at herself. Putting her on the pill has at least helped her horrible, horrible, PMS, thank God.

We were told at about 15 that she may be bi-polar and she was treated from that standpoint. We have recently been told that she is NOT bi-polar and that her moods, crying jags, and impulsive behavior are still in line with the original Tourette's Syndrome diagnosis, which I have to tell you, really makes me feel better. I can do Tourette's Syndrome - BiPolar (BP) was very foreign to me and really felt at a complete loss as to how I would help her. The Tourette's Syndrome diagnosis also made more sense to me. Based on all the research I'd done on Tourette's Syndrome, she fit the bill 100%. The BiPolar (BP) diagnosis didn't really fit.

Anyway, while doing all my research, which began when difficult child was 10 and has been ongoing since, I can honestly say that there are traces of Tourette's Syndrome, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and ADHD behaviors on BOTH sides of the family. Most undiagnosed, most untreated. My exh, difficult child's bio-dad, if he had been born a little later to a woman with any sense at all, probably would have been seen and diagnosed by a neuro-psychiatric as having Tourette's Syndrome & ADHD. He began self medicating at about 11 years of age with cigarettes and pot and hasn't stopped since - he is 46. Following difficult child's diagnosis at 10, exh's mother confided in me that she was afraid to take exh to the DR back then because she thought they would take him away and put him in a psychiatric hospital!! So instead she did nothing. Also, I know that I may have Tourette's Syndrome - I definitely have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) which is cyclic for me.

I think you're on track - read as much as you can about the intricacies of Tourette's Syndrome. It is a very interesting diagnosis because most people think it's all about screaming out obscenities, which it's not...only about 10% of those disgnosed with Tourette's Syndrome have cropalalia. My difficult child had echolalia, which is when they repeat songs, phrases or words they hear that is attractive to them. I recall my difficult child singing this on commercial diddy for weeks on end. I thought I'd blow my brains out.

Best of luck and many hugs. You're definitely not alone. You will find a lot of support here.