Prayers please

everywoman

My oldest son (father of two/shared custody) called me last night. He has been having some problems with his back. He saw dr. yesterday. Compression with a lesion on cord. MRI on monday. Dr.'s appointment on Tuesday. He is 2 1/2 hours from me with no family around. Prayers please.

TerryJ2

Ouch! Poor guy! I hope the MRI picks up all the info he needs, pronto, and he can get something done. Best of luck and many hugs.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Northern Ca. with prayers for health and healing for your son and peace of mind for you.................hugs................on to.........

DammitJanet

Oh EW, that doesnt sound good at all! Prayers going out from me too. Hope it isnt as bad as it sounds. Im hoping the lesion is bad film. That happened to me once. Scared the living daylights out of me.

Off topic from this, I was thinking of you just yesterday but didnt want to just start a post that would only make sense to you. I saw the first commercial I have ever seen for The Shack on TV! Yes it is the same Biscuit Shack we knew and loved but they have changed the name to leave out the word Biscuit. I was shocked and the first thing I thought of was you...lol. Wasnt that the smallest world between us huh?

susiestar

Roll With It
(((((hugs)))))

I am so sorry he is in pain. Back problems can have a huge impact on your life. Make sure he gets at least a second opinion and maybe even a third.

If he is a smoker/tobacco user or he lives with one, he NEEDS to stop NOW. If he needs surgery on the bones, like to fuse a disc, the bones will not heal as fast or as well if he is using any form of tobacco. I don't remember if it is the nicotine or another part of the plant, but something in tobacco interferes with healing. MOST ortho and neuro surgeons won't tell you this. I learned from the doctor who did my first disc fusion. He almost cancelled my operation because I showed up for a pre-op appointment reeking of smoke. I had to explain, and get a note, that I had been at a client's office and the client was a chain smoker before he would do the surgery. Dr. R was a great surgeon and a total sweetheart, but he had seen a LOT of problems that were caused because the tobacco interfered with the healing.

FWIW, my bro had a very very badly broken leg in a car accident. His recovery took months longer than expected and his ortho said that it was largely the tobacco use slowing down the healing and interfering somehow with how the bones knit themselves back together.

I just wanted to pass on the info so that he can make a more educated guess. All of the neuro/ortho surgeons I have spoken to about this have said that of course tobacco interferes, but only the one doctor volunteered that info at any time, pre or post surgery. None could give a good reason why they didn't say anything either.

I hope and pray that his problem is something easily and painlessly fixable! Hugs to him, you, the grandkids, and the rest of the family!

I have had a lot of back problems, and if I can help, let me know. Even if it is just a question about something.

The pain from back problems is hideous. It can radiate down a limb, and truly wreck your life. I found that having a Thera Cane was super handy. It is a plastic hooked shape thing that can be used to massage every part of your body. You can massage your own back with this - and it doesn't cost the earth either. I found that by putting a panty liner on the knob at the end, I could put muscle rub or lotion or whatever on my back because having to ask for help. I had a toddler when I had the first neck surgery and I was using capsaicen cream and couldn't figure out how to apply it other than to ask one of the kids, which was NOT going to happen. The pantyliner trick may seem 'strange' or 'weird'. but they are really useful.

You can search amazon for 'thera cane' or go to their website http://www.theracane.com/ They don 't sell directly from their website, and you will find some other brands that are pretty much the same thing. Depending on his insurance, this could be covered as durable medical equipment.

I would also strongly recommend some rice bags for him. You just sew some fabric into whatever shape, fill it with rice, and nuke it until it is hot. For homemade ice packs, very little beats frozen veggies, esp the peas, corn, mixed veg that are chopped up small. You can also put 1 c rubbing alcohol and 1 c water into a ziploc, seal it, put it into another ziploc, and seal that, then freeze if you need a cold pack.

everywoman

Thanks ladies, I really appreciate. I don't post a lot anymore---so I wasn't expecting any response. I guess I feel a little like Midas's wife and the secret of the donkey ears-lol. Janet---yes I remember---small world. I haven't been to the Shack in a long time---I wonder how it's doing with Boots gone.
Suzie---back surgery is something I am way to familiar with. I watched my dad suffer for years. I myself have spinal stenosis and have 5 metal brackets in my neck to open my spine. It breaks my heart to think he is facing a long journey. :(