Praying to computer gods...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I got an "imminent disk failure" message yesterday for one of my hard drives :( Everything's backed up on an external drive, so now I'm going to try to see what I can do to fix it myself... and then I'll have to call HP. Dang! I just got this stupid thing in April! Thank goodness it's still under warranty (I sure hope this is covered).

So if I drop off the face of the earth for a while, y'all will know why!

(At least I get internet on my phone! :D )

susiestar

Roll With It
What is UP with computers today? Mine keeps telling me I am offline and I am NOT!

I hope yours is covered by warranty.

Is internet on the phone expensive? I am thinking about adding it to my blackberry.

How useful is text messaging? I haven't done it, and am wondering about that too.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Ohhh that doesn't sound good at all... You are probably going to need a new hard drive..

Am thankful that easy child still lives at home- he is our resident computer geek so anything that looks or acts a little wonky on any of the 5 computers we have, I can get it fixed almost immediately..

Marcie

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Thankfully it IS under warranty. Just bought it at the end of March. I just got off the phone with HP and they are sending me a special box to ship it in to them so they can fix it.

I already backed everything up, so I'm not worried about losing stuff. I guess I can continue to use it until the box gets here or it crashes, whichever is first!

Susie, husband got me an iPhone last Xmas and the plan you have to get with AT&T includes internet, texting, etc. I think it's about $10 more a month than I was already paying. It's been a very convenient feature to have, I must admit.

Marcie, my little brother is a self-employed computer geek who usually builds my systems for me. This HP desktop is only the second easy child I've ever bought with my own money! I know, I've been spoiled. But little brother's business keeps him way too busy anymore to be conveniently available for tech support, which is why I went ahead and bought my own box this time.

The skills your easy child has are very valuable -- hope he's able to parlay them into cold, hard cash!!!

mom_in_training

Yikes!!!!! Not good at all. This is a warning that your hard drive is about to go belly up. Good thing you have backed up to an external. The good news is that hard drives are not that expensive to replace. Maybe Marci should get you hooked up with her computer geek. Lol!! Its having to pay someone to place the hard drive that can get pricey.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Put the computer in my van and DRIVE it to SC...on the way drop off your computer to be fixed, come visit have coffee, chat.....then I'll put you on a plane for CA, and HP (Horribly Predictable) can send your fixed box back.

Just a thought.....bring the chicken - we'll have a hen party. :tongue:

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Stupid question, but at times I used to get these horrible messages pop up on my screen, and it turned out to be stupid advertising.

easy child works for a computer graphics customer support company in Brea, and is taking computer classes in school. This is been a long time comming as although he is absolutely brilliant when it comes to computers, he has never wanted to work in that field cause he enjoys it too much, and if he actually had to make money doing it for a living, it wouldn't be as pleasurable (I think there is some difficult child thinking in that boy)

I hate it when computers don't work right - I am stalling calling HP Customer Business Support for my new high tec printer- not even he can figure out how to get it to scan to my office email...

Marcie

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Marcie, husband used to work in Brea -- he loved that short commute! Then it was downtown L.A. for a year (thank God for the train!). Now he's in Irvine, which isn't as nifty as Brea, but waaay better than L.A. traffic!

MIT, yes, I am VERY glad this is an in-warranty repair. Amazing, all the years I've had desktops and this is the first time I've had a failure like this. Guess I've been lucky!

husband was very kind and hooked up his old work laptop for me to use until we get my box fixed. I hate laptops. (Yeah, yeah, beggars can't be choosy).

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Star, after the crap husband pulled with the kids tonight, I'm tempted to hit the road for a while and let him deal with his own aftermath.... got a comfy couch?