Promising news!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
If you recall, 6 weeks or so ago, on a whim, I took wee difficult child's neuropsyche report to my allergist/immunologist just to ask if he thought he had anything to add, and he agreed to see wee difficult child.

He was very up front in saying he didn't think he could cure him, but he was going to look into any areas he thought he might be able to make improvements - the hope being that some little fixes may make things more tolerable.

In addition to setting up a complete second opinion, they put difficult child on a pulsox for a few nights. They called today with the results.

His O2 sats are falling into the 60's repeatedly thru the night!

They are contacting another doctor, so we'll find out the next step in the morning, but surely this can be improved!

Andy

Yeah! It is so great when docs spend time looking for even the small fixes that make things more tolerable.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
He has enlarged adenoids. They are hopeful this will be enuf to go ahead and take them out. We will see what the other office says in the morning. They may ask for sleep study.

They consider anything below 88% to be a problem, and even tho they didn't get a real good continuous reading, they have many, many short readings where it hit low 70's or high 60's. I am excited about this news.

TerryJ2

Wow. That's certainly a discovery.
I think we're the only group of parents who get excited about otherwise unusual or scary medication reports, LOL!
I'm glad you came up with-the idea to check with-an allergist/immulogist.
Let us know what happens.

Marguerite

Has he had a proper sleep study done? A classmate of difficult child 3's (drama class) has been "all over the shop" with her behaviour and is either sound asleep and unrousable, or manic. When they finally did a sleep study, they found she had severe sleep apnoea which they put down to really huge tonsils & adenoids. The child was so bad that her chest was not developing properly; to look at her, she seems to have a barrel chest.

Sounds like you have good instincts.

Marg

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Wish I could take credit for the "instinct", but it really was just one of those days that I was in the dumps, out of ideas, and figured "what they hay...everyone else has looked at him, why not this guy?" It really was nothing more than a straw to grasp. The instincts belong to this doctor who took note of his "interesting" sleep "pattern" (or lack of).

I am assuming there will be a sleep study done, but not sure. His nurse said with O2 levels that low, it may be enough evidence to take the adenoids first and do a sleep study after to see if there's any more issues with sleep. I hope to hear this morning.

And you're probably right, this is probably the only board where a report like that is exciting in a positive way! And I am excited. Giddy like a schoolgirl. Tho I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much.