Public school testing when not enrolled in school

Josie

I think I have read here that even if a child is homeschooled or going to private school, I can request testing by the public school.

Our situation is that difficult child goes to private school but I am thinking of enrolling her in the public middle school next year. We moved to the private school because I felt that the gifted education at the time (2nd grade) was inadequate. She took the test in 1st Grade for Talented and Gifted and didn't technically qualify but they let her do it anyway since one score was so high. To get in for middle school, she will have to re-test and I am concerned she will not qualify again. I've been told they don't make exceptions for any reason at the middle school level. They will not test her until summer if she is not enrolled in the district. I would like to have her tested before then because if she doesn't qualify, we need to be making the decision about what private school to go to.

Does anyone know if the rule that requires them to test all students regardless of enrollment (if there is such a rule) apply in this situation? Or does the fact that they would do it in the summer count? If she were to enroll in the school now, they could do the test in 30 days.

Martie

You cannot ask the SD specifically for "gifted" testing unless they do it for all children (and apparently they do it in the summer--which is their right since there is virtually NO regulation of "giftedness")

However, in order to qualify for Special Eduation, your difficult child has to be fully evaluated which would (almost always) include IQ testing. In order to qualify for Sp Ed under any category, the disability HAS to be having a negative impact upon educational performance. It is not enough to have a DSM diagnosis--even a valid one. There has to be "negative educational impact." The children who are most likely to be denied services are bright children whose grades and test scores stay in the OK range for years while their emotional problems get worse and worse. SD make them wait until they "fail enough" which makes everything MUCH worse. It is possible to get services for a child who tests well but is not performing in school (been there done that) but it is really not easy.

The question that needs an answer first is: Does your difficult child have negative educational impact?

Martie

Josie

Thanks, Martie, for your response.

I'm sure they would not think she has a negative educational impact even if she were in their school. In her current school, they don't identify "gifted" but they do try to challenge everyone at their own level. The current school has a lot of dyslexic children so they are used to providing "Special Education" to everyone.

If she goes to that school and doesn't qualify for the gifted program, she will have to do the same math that she's doing this year (with an A) again. That's enough of a negative impact for me, but I doubt it really qualifies.

We will just go ahead and plan as though she will go to private school next year and if she gets in to the program this summer, then decide what to do. I was just hoping to simplify the middle school application process.

Thanks for your help.