qustion5-HTP

daralex

Clinging onto my sanity
OK, one last question, has anyone heard of 5-HTP? Someone reccomended this to me today - I've never heard of it before. It is suposed to help with ODD and depression. Has anyone heard of this or tried it with their kids?
-Dara

Peaceful

5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) is an amino acid that is the intermediate step between tryptophan and the important brain chemical serotonin. There is a massive amount of evidence that suggests that low serotonin levels are a common consequence of modern living. The lifestyle and dietary practices of many people living in this stress-filled era results in lowered levels of serotonin within the brain. As a result, many people are overweight, crave sugar and other carbohydrates, experience bouts of depression, get frequent headaches, and have vague muscle aches and pain. All of these maladies are correctable by raising brain serotonin levels. The primary therapeutic applications for 5-HTP are low serotonin states.

According to medical journals and reviews it is only proven that 5- HTP helps improve moods of depressed patients and may aid in weight loss, improve sleep patterns and help panic attacks. In the medical articles which were read, it was indicated that more research should be conducted on 5-HTP before any claims were made regarding the effects on sleep patterns or weight loss. Within these articles there was little to no mention of the effects of 5-HTP on heart disease. However, in a clinical trial Schwarcz, Young, and Brown (1989) performed, there was evidence to show that 5-HTP combined with a diet high in carbohydrates does lower blood pressure.

Found this on the internet and I know some parents who use it for their kids with BiPolar (BP).

Peaceful

Josie

I have been using this for about a month with my difficult child/easy child. She is diagnosis'ed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). I'm taking her to a psychiatrist who did a urine test for neurotransmitter levels and it showed low serotonin. He recommended 5-HTP to bring the serotonin levels up. She might have been suffering from depression before, too.

On the third day of taking it, she was acting much happier. I think her Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is bothering her less but it is still there. Her personality is back, though. She is joking around now and making conversation. Before that, she was just very quiet and subdued.

We thought it might be making her head hurt more, so last night, we tried to skip the 5-HTP. Last night and this morning were the worst she has been since she started taking it. She got angry very quickly, cried alot, and her Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) flared up. I gave her the 5-HTP at lunch and she has improved. I have a hard time believing it could work that quickly but she is much better this afternoon.

The doctor said it was very important to take it on an empty stomach. At least 2 hours after eating and 30 minutes before eating. He said otherwise it goes to the stomach and not the brain. She is taking 50 mg.

So that's my experience with it. We haven't been using it very long but it looks promising.