Results from neuropsychologist....

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
No distorted thinking or mental illness issues. No personality disorders ~ kind of knew all of that. A lingering but generally not crippling depression. That runs in the family ~ all the women on my dad's side of the family have this issue.

Having said all that it's my IQ, specifically my perceptual & working memory. My IQ as a whole has dropped significantly from 128 to 80. therapist told me it's the result of the working memory & perceptual stuff - due to my brain injury. There's a 17 point difference between my IQ score & the working memory score which is 63. That's huge.

Not sure how to take this - I knew I was having issues; just didn't want to see or know the numbers. therapist told me not to obsess or get frightened - we'd work together with neurologist & likely Occupational Therapist (OT) to help.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
How much of this is due to the stress life has put you through? (Aside from the brain injury.)

It's clear to me that, regardless of the number they have assigned you, you are a very intelligent person. I've read many of your posts and seen how you've handled your situation, and in my humble opinion you're doing better than any numbered tests could prove.

Memory can be improved upon, with a bit of Occupational Therapist (OT) as you mentioned.

We're here. LOTS of HUGS, too, 'cause it's always upsetting to see numbers like that. Keep in mind though that it's like the arbitrary number assigned to women's clothes. I might wear a size 6, but if I'm 4'6... I'm larger proportionally than a size 12 who is 6 feet tall.

Brains aren't so easy to set in that kind of perspective.

It's easy for the doctor to say not to be frightened, not to obsess... Not so easy to follow that advice. Just keep letting us know what's up. And keep taking care of you.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Linda

I'm afraid to have a neuropsychologist evaluation for the same reason. And I know if I'd had one done a few years back I'd have scored very low in IQ and working memory. I don't doubt I'd still score fairly low in the working memory part as my bulk knowledge is what was there before the Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI).

School forced me to work my brain in ways I simply couldn't at home. It also forced me to find ways to cope/adjust when my brain just couldn't do the job. Some things I still just can't do. I find it frustrating, but have to accept it. After 6 yrs.....I doubt it's coming back. But who knows? The brain is an amazing creation.

I've no doubt my IQ is lower than before the accident. But I've managed to stay on either the Dean's List or President's List at school for 3 yrs. It's not always been easy, sometimes I struggle terribly. But then I make myself remember what it was like not long after the accident. Two years of my brain being basically mush.

Still I find it quite frustrating, and sometimes downright maddening, when I discover I can't do something I did before no matter how hard I try.

Somehow I got a bonus. Before the Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) I drew well, probably very well for the most part. Yet since the Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)......my art has taken off in directions I never dreamed possible....nor could acheive before. I used to have so much trouble taking a drawing and turning it into a color creation......always came out looking like a 3rd grader did it. Now suddenly it seems my brain can manage this in spades........and I sort of go with the flow so to speak and as amazed as everyone else at the result. Because I know I wasn't able to accomplish that before the Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI).

I still have issues that effect everyday life. Bill paying for me is very confusing.....and a bit dangerous. I can transpose numbers without even realizing I've done it. Which is why I hate that mother in law will only let me do the bills for her. I have to proof read anything I write several times because I'll transpose words, letters. I still will lose a whole train of thought in the middle of a sentence when I least expect it. And if someone tells/gives me something I need to look at/listen to and recite back, it's a no go. Brain shuts down and just won't do it.

But I'll be sitting in nursing class in the fall. I may not graduate. I may not make it thru the first quarter. But I'm giving it a shot cuz I've got to know if I can do it. Most of that subject matter is old knowledge and is still there buried in my brain. I'm hoping that will be enough to keep me from drowning in all the new knowledge that they throw at you fast and furious in the program.

You aren't a number. Your intelligence isn't a number. You are still very much Linda. The Linda I've known, admired, and respected for many years now. Those tests are good for showing problem areas........areas in which you may either need to work on or need help with. But they don't define who you are as a person.

I hope I said that the way I meant it to come out.

(((hugs)))

witzend

Wow, that must be a lot of information to process for you. I'm glad that you are handling it so calmly, and are able to work with your doctor on this.

DDD

The IQ drop that resulted from the Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) for easy child/difficult child is mindboggling. He does not have the maturity or focus to utilize the strengths he still has. It's very sad when awareness of your weakness prevents development of your strength.

We all know you are a sharp cookie no matter what number is in a report. DDD

mstang67chic

Going Green
Well, let's see. Just in the past year alone you've: had the stress of your husband drinking again, leaving and then passing away, had the stress (ongoing) of your TWO difficult child's and their treatments/issues/placements, had the stress of losing your mother (or was that more than a year? either way, it's still there), had/have the stress of major projects in your home AND been ill.

Hmmm.....I'm thinking that the illness and any ONE of the other things would be enough to scramble your eggs. Put all of them together in a relatively short time and yeah...that would do it. **In my best Wizard from Oz voice** Pay no attention to that man with the clipboard!!! Linda, the numbers are just numbers. They are showing areas that need work yes, but in no way does that mean you are "damaged". Besides...sometimes we all need reminders or extra help with stuff. Wasn't it Abbey who posted recently that she would forget to get up in the mornings if she didn't have a sticky note on her forehead? Listen to your therapist. FORGET. THE. NUMBERS. Work with the neuro and the Occupational Therapist (OT) and it'll come.

And if not...eh....you can hide your own Easter eggs. :tongue:

DammitJanet

Linda...These kind folks just wrote the very same things to me when I came here with the same results not long ago. LOL...we could be twins! I have problems in working memory and especially visual memory. Basically I have no visual memory. Brain damage hoovers.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Linda,
I'm sure it's difficult to see the numbers. I really like how mstang put it. I also like your therapist's advice about not obsessing or getting frightened, that he or she will work with you, the neurologist and the Occupational Therapist (OT).

You never cease to amaze me! To be honest, in your posts I haven't seen any decline. They show clear thinking and you write things very well, always have.

Continued prayers and gentle hugs.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Ladies, you always help hold me up when I'm feeling low.

Saying that, I spoke with my brother (doctorate in speech pathology with a degree also in neuropsychology) who is the head of a rehab unit & specializes in brain injuries.

He told me that the I didn't lose any knowledge that I already have; the problem is that my brain has to work harder - it's disorganized because of the injury. It takes me longer to process my thoughts, my words. Longer to work out problems. He's going to email me some ideas to help with my working memory & my visual perception issues. I have to "retrain" my brain to work in a different manner.

When all is said & done he did say this report should help with my disability claim even tho the neuropysch commented that mentally I should be able to work. Brother said that they have to look at the entire report & the entire workings of the brain.

It was a relief to hear by brother explain this to me & he will work with me (if I can't get speech therapy - Occupational Therapist (OT) doesn't work in this area) on retraining my brain.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
He told me that the I didn't lose any knowledge that I already have; the problem is that my brain has to work harder - it's disorganized because of the injury.
Interesting - it made me think of a bookshelf - perhaps a library - that has been descended upon by a schoolbus full of toddlers. Books everywhere, out of order, but there. Nothing's missing, but it's all jumbled.

{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}} You're doing just fine. Besides, you have us! ::snicker:: OK, so most of the people here are probably better than me at this, but I'm here for ya anyway.

busywend

Knowledge is power. Knowing your scores can only help to find ways to help you improve them. It will be work, maybe hard work. Just like piano was in the beginning. Frustrating. But, in the end your memory will improve. I may not have been as confident in others in my life, but I know you can be determined when you want to be.

flutterby

Fly away!
Linda said:
He told me that the I didn't lose any knowledge that I already have; the problem is that my brain has to work harder - it's disorganized because of the injury. It takes me longer to process my thoughts, my words. Longer to work out problems.

Those are my issues, too. The IQ part that is judgment, reasoning and data manipulation is still there. The part that is working memory, distractability, visual perception....it's kaput. I scored in the 34th percentile in that area.

Apparently, that part also effects spelling. Cause I can't spell to save my life anymore. Thank goodness for spellcheck in Firefox or it would be like reading hiro..heiro...ancient Egyptian writing.

Since there seems to be enough of us to make a team, how about we order some jerseys? We'll order them, forget about them, and then when they arrive it will be like Christmas! :tongue: