Safe Hand Sanitizer???

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
IIRC, there are some hand cleaning products that come in pump dispensers and do not require rinsing.

They are not anti-bacterial, but could provide the comfort of hand sanitizing without the damage to his skin.

I'd also watch that the desire to sanitize his hands isn't turning into an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) thing. Hand sanitizers would not do anything more to clean his hands after play with the pets than any good soap would. It's really about washing away the bacteria.

dreamer

Absolutely the #1 treatment, and #1 prevention for infectious issues is defense-washing hands- with running water is best. the soap facilitates the waters ability to wash the bacteria away. there are videos online im sure that show how to properly wash hands. but our skin is our #1 biggest defense against harmful organisms entering our body- and if we harm the skin, we permit bacteria an entry point. so we do want to be careful to keep skin intact and not subject it to harsh chemicals and too much friction. you do not need a strong soap, nor do you need HOT water. it is the action of the water running that removes the bacteria and washes it down the drain.

and yes you are correct, rest, fluids, good diet, good sleep patterns, etc makes for good treatment, and also good defense. and keep hands away from mucous membranes (eyes, nose, mouth etc)

I DO however give a disinfectant swipe to all doorknobs, cabinet knobs, lite switches the toilet flush handle, the faucets (where you turn them to make the water run) the phone and car steering wheel and remotes. I dont get nuts with it, but do it a couple times a week.
and I toss anyones toothbrush who has been sick.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Thanks for the reminder, Dreamer. I'm due to buy a new toothbrush anyway and keep forgetting to do so. I will get rid of my current one once I have this cold out of my system.

When I worked in Germany as a part time vet tech (nurse--did more than techs here do, like administer medications, start IVs, etc), I was constantly washing my hands in very strong disinfectants.

I had major problems with skin peeling and cracking. I even had a couple of cracks go deep enough to get infected.

My treatment was to apply vaseline to my hands and put cotton gloves over it at night. It really helps.

There are two products I remember for non antibacterial hand cleansers that both require no rinsing AND are good for moisturizing the skin. For the life of me, I cannot remember the names of the products.

I will check next time I go to WalMart and get the names of the product.

Marguerite

am going to get the product you recommend. He plays with the dogs and the cat alot so I do want him to continue to clean his hands afterwards.

ALWAYS, washing hand with soap and running water is the habit to develop and to use as a first instance. And you have to be careful about what product you use if you are sensitive.
In the days before hand sanitisers, I was the mother of a new baby in the hospital. easy child was my first and I was conscientious in doing everything I was told, including washing my hands with the hospital's antibacterial wash (in a pump dispenser by the sink - all the staff use the same product, there was one dispenser at every sink). I had to wash my hands before every feed; after every feed; before changing the baby's nappy; after changing the baby's nappy. That is a lot of hand washing and by the second day the skin on my hands was breaking down. Meanwhile I was showering with the soap I'd brought from home, so I took to using my bar of soap to wash my hands with, instead of the hospital pump disinfectant detergent. My hands cleared up quickly, so I stuck with it.

So when I was ever in hospital after that (including the next three kids) I knew to avoid the hospital's product. A few years later, that product was banned because it contained hexachloraphene.

A cleaning product I've been using especially to remove dirt - and it's brilliant for that - is a mixture of olive oil and salt. You can use sugar instead, but you need to rinse thoroughly because it could bring the ants.

To make it, you put salt in a jar (make sure it doesn't have a metal lid) and cover it with olive oil, to about a cm or more over the top of the salt. Salt (or sugar) won't dissolve in the oil. I like to add a few drops of essential oil - it depends on how allergic you are as to which one you use but you can use an antibacterial oil if you choose. I tend to use lavender, it smells nice and was actually named by the Romans because of it's use in washing.

To use it, you put a small amount in the palm of you hand. I often put a small plastic ice cream spoon in the jar so there's always a small measure there for me.
Then you scrub your hands with it. Rub your hands together - the salt acts as a mild abrasive to scrape away any dirt, plus the salt itself is a great antibacterial, simply because salt is a preservative, it osmotically draws the water out of bacterial cells it comes into contact with. so, scrub with it - then rinse. Your hands at this stage will feel really oily and greasy, you will see the oil & water on your hands looking gluggy.
Next - pat your hands dry on a piece of cloth. Any oil left on your hands will be rapidly absorbed by your skin and there will not be a lingering greasy feel.
This method cleans hands, especially really dirty hands, and also disinfects (because of the salt). It also is great for sensitive skin or damaged skin.

I shopped around looking for commercial products like this - I found quite a few, many of them over $50 a jar. I can make the same quantity for about 50 cents.

The first jar I made was following a recipe on a TV show that deals with home improvements. They said to use lavender oil to perfume it and to also put in a few spoonsful of shredded lavender flowers. I've done so, but regret it - when I use that jar, I get bits of lavender flower all over me and they end up in the sink. But as you scrub with it, it does release a little more perfume from the crushed flowers.

The second jar I made, I added no flowers. I also used a different essential oil blend, one I put together because I liked it. Although it's only for my use, I put it in one of those glass coffee jars that has a glass lid with a plastic liner to it. I removed the liner and put a silk flower inside the glass lid, so it looks a bit prettier. It lives by the sink so I can use it to scrub my hands when I come in from gardening or painting. I have found it very useful for cleaning off dried wall acrylic paint from my hands. Plus it keeps my skin feeling moisturised.

If you think about it, the people flogging hand sanitisers and antibacterial products for use in the house, are the people controlling the information and the advertising. Of course they want us to buy their products, so the scare tactics are used. But we are better off not using too many chemicals or too many germ killers.

We are becoming too paranoid about germs and putting more and more barriers between us and the real world. This afternoon when I dropped easy child 2/difficult child 2 home to her block of flats, one of her neighbours was outside tending to her pot of herbs. This neighbour is a food technologist and was picking caterpillars off the herbs. I found another caterpillar for her and picked a few leaves for her. But then she walked to the bins to throw the herbs away - because a caterpillar had been on the plant! I reminded her that technically caterpillars are edible. Birds eat them. She could always wash the herbs, or put them in cooking (where any germs would be killed by the heat).

It makes me wonder if any of those herbs will ever get eaten, or will they all be thrown in the bin because they have been contaminated by nature?

Just what are we doing to ourselves in this world, by losing touch with where food really comes from?

Marg

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Good Grief! Marge!

The gardening neighbor is out of her skull! husband had a certification as a Food Safety Inspector so he could go around to other outlets and inspect their kitchens.

He was an absolute demon about cleanliness and proper food handling and storage. He also was a gardening nut and in addition to a huge herb garden, he had a good sized plot of veggies as well.

We picked off the caterpillars and bugs all the time. The only thing we put "on" the plants were ladybugs and praying mantises (it's a bit unnerving to have this rather large, bright green insect, turn it's head to follow you, LoL)

Yeah, I've found the occasional critter in my salad back in those days. You just rinsed and picked it over some more before using it.

Here in the US we do have a few caterpillars that are poisonous, but they are either very brightly colored as a warning, or are covered with bristly, stinging hairs.

I know there are some varieties where getting stung could kill you very quickly and nastily, but they seem to be confined to tropical areas.

We had a neighbor who actually freaked out over BEES coming to her garden. She couldn't be made to understand that the bees were actually what pollinate fruits and veggies.

DammitJanet

GN...that Vancomycin is one of the things I remember being hung IV when I had meningitis. I cant remember what else they used but when you wrote that out, it triggered the memory in me.

susiestar

Roll With It
When I had cellulitis in my leg last year they gave me 28 IV Vancomycin treatments and 20 treatments of an antibiotic that started with a z. vancomycin is horrible for causing nausea, even when given via IV. They kept fussing at me for not eating until they realized it was all coming up. Took 2 DAYS to get that understood.

It is a very strong antibiotic.

DammitJanet

Well, while I was on IV's I dont think I was allowed to eat. Hard for me to remember very well. I know I wasnt feeding myself then. I was hardly allowed to drink anything. Not even ice.

God...just thinking back about all that. Shudder. I have nightmares about something called Thickit! Most vile tasting stuff around...lol. Its this icky stuff they put into liquid to make it thicker for people with swallowing problems so it wont go down the wrong way and get into their lungs and cause problems. It is just vile tasting. They swear you cant taste it. BS.

susiestar

Roll With It
Our hospital has "restaurant service", meaning you have a menu and you call them when you are ready for a meal and you tell them exactly what you want. They bring it up in about 10-15 minutes. If you do not call then they call you. If you don't want to eat they call the nurses station and the nurses come badger you about it. They are annoying, but it is better than being forced to eat at 5 am, 11 am and 4 pm. Which was the former mealtime schedule.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I recognized the Vancomycin because husband had been given it during his last couple of bouts of pneumonia.

I don't know if it made me nauseous or not. I was already having vomiting problems so bad that they couldn't pull the NG tube for several days. My GI tract had basically shut down so that anything that hit my stomach had no where to go.

They put in a PICC line (central IV line that goes in a deep vein in the arm and winds up near the heart) and were feeding me through that.

I was getting so much anti-nausea medication already that I didn't notice that the Van made it worse.

susiestar

Roll With It
The Picc lines are interesting, aren't they? I had the newer Power PICT line with my cellulits. It was mini-surgery in the room, which fascinated Jessica (LOL), and they put all my medications through that and took blood out of it. I was glad it had 2 ports because one of them shut down the 3rd day. I was still dehydrated because I was vomiting so much even with medications, so they started fluids again that day.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I LOVED the PICC line, which sounds kind of gross. My veins had blown out so badly that IVs were infiltrating and all sorts of good stuff.

Like you, my PICC had two ports. They could feed me through one and do blood draws and administer medications through the other.

You do have to be careful with them because they are an open door to your bloodstream