Santa brought me a headcold. Bah Humbug! Any suggestions?

DDD

I was just honky dorry until Christmas night and then it began. Sore head, running nose, feeling exhausted and looking like I'm 140 instead of 70. I used to take Benadryl but starting around five years ago it seemed to transfer the congestion from my head to my chest...plus triggered RLS at night preventing sleep.

Any home remedies that work for you? I am not a happy camper today and dread going to the store to relieve husband at lunch. Whine! DDD

klmno

Ugh! Tylenol or motrin, soup, hot shower or bath, lots of water and vitamin c or a v8, stay warm and gets lots of sleep- the typical but it's all I know that gives relief. I hope you're feeling better soon! For stuffy nose and a tendency to have drainage to the chest- make sure you take something with pseudo phrine (or whatever that is called- that's now only sold behind the counter) in it.

klmno

PS Not that this will be any consolation for a cold but Santa unexpectedly brought me an agg- after a year of not having one- and I'm not happy about my gift either!

Star*

call 911........call 911
I know this sounds nuts - but get some vics vapo rub - tonight when you go to sleep lather it on the souls of your feet and put on some good white cotton socks. I would also try a decongestant AND and antihistamine. Our doctor does not believe in cough syrup, but honey is good to quiet coughs. However I did get a prescription of some medicine called QuarTuss that is unbelievable for quieting coughs and that aheme aheeeeehhhm annoying thing. Other than that? Chicken soup, breathing a steam bath every couple of hours, plenty of fluids, LOADS of vitamin C - you can't take too much 5000 mg a day will help you (sorry mods) pee out a cold. And last but not least REST. If you dont' feel better in three days? Then you need to see a doctor possibly for some antibiotics. I'm not a nurse, but I just used to get a lot of colds - quit smoking and started being a germophobe and I'm much better now.

Hope you feel well soon.

DDD

I have no idea what that is. It's probably alot worse than a headcold. But...as a Warrior Mom I have to admit I am a wimp
when it comes to health. Heaven help me if I ever have a serious problem if I can't cope with a blankin' cold! LOL

So.......whatever you got.......you have my simpathy. Meanwhile I am off for a hot shower. That sounds good. DDD

M

Mamaof5

Three things I do - ColdFX (that stuff works I swear by it) and a combo vit D&C and load up on them. It works, I keep my D&C maintained with the glucosamine and omega 3s as well all year round now and have only had 2 colds this season. I am immuno-suppressed and have immune issues and I usually have chest infections twice a year that last 6 months each (means I always have one all year round, I dislocated ribs and broke a few coughing 3 Xmas' ago from it, it was that bad, and last November I had pneumonia from H1N1 complications. Not the vaccine, the actual disease).

I'm usually sick ALL the time. This past year has been a good year loading on the D&C vits. I figure it's because I probably had a deficiency of them that I was getting sick all the time along side being immuno-compromised too. It's amazing how something so simple can be so good for you.

Natural honey will coat your throat for the coughing and quiet the coughing too as well as give you some immuno boosting properties. Zinc tablets help too. I hope you feel better soon!

klmno

*chuckle* that was supposed to say "egg" as in an egg was released when I thought all that koi was over- and yes, I am a wimp over things like viruses and PMS, too!

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Smack him!!!!

O wait - you didn't want to know what to do to Santa....you wanted to know what to do about a cold....o well that's different!

Drink lots of fluids! Get plenty of rest! Be good to yourself!

Feel better soon!

DammitJanet

Someone once posted a concoction on here about a congestion reliever. I have no idea if it was just the idea of it working or if it really works but I use it around here when we get colds.

I get a can of chicken broth because Im too lazy to make it myself. I put ginger in it (again, spice isle cause again...lazy), several onion slices and two red chili peppers. Heat the above to simmering and let that go for about 20 to 30 minutes and then drain all the gunk out. Sip slowly cause its hot.

I also use the vicks on chest and feet.

And a good ole hot toddy with either tea or apple juice, honey and an ample shot of whiskey or moonshine does wonders!

Tony's father used to make them cough syrup out of moonshine and either rock candy or peppermint candy!

DDD

I think it's already moving from my head to my chest. I can almost breath now. on the other hand, since I started smoking again this year I'm a little leary of having it in my chest. Oh well....I've noted the suggestions and appreciate the caring. DDD

Whiskey and ginger ale. Or hot tea. I hope the worst is over and you don't have to leave your house at all.

H

HaoZi

Hot tea with honey. Plenty of high vitamin C juices (yes, you can overdose on the supplements). I'd use different juices for the different micronutrients they have. Chicken soup, and plenty of it. Zicam makes a cold product that is supposed to lessen the severity/duration of a cold (not their flu stuff, this is a different but related product). I usually have good luck with Celestial Seasonings Wellness teas with echinacea (sp) and zinc, but heed the warnings on the box.

klmno

DDD, I am also a smoker and I stay on antihistamines and the psudo...(decongestant) daily. It's a low dose of each and was started a few years ago as a suggestion from my dr. Both are the rx'd type because the OTCs do nothing for me in this area. They not only help keep a grip on allergies (that didn't develop until I hit "that age"), but also are very good at taking a proactive, preventative approach to avoiding bronchitis and other congestive problems. My dr's theory is that this can at least prolong potential problems like emphasema (sp) in the future. I don't know about that, but I rarely get bronchitis anymore and I had been getting it at least once or twice a year, I breathe easier, and feel a lot better in general since taking this regularly. Last year when I had to go without a couple of months, my head was about to explode most of the time and I find myself dragging daily.

DDD

I'm heading back to work at noon...when it has warmed up outside. Right now I'm b'twix and b'tween. Head is barely bothering me and the chest is probably getting ready to whoomp me. Making getting out will help! DDD

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
well he must have had a bunch of those, cause I got one too! I am just drinking juice and using nasal spray and taking difficult child II"s left over amoxicilin ( I know I know that's a no no but eh....) Feel Better