school starts 2morrow

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
I am not ready!

difficult child I is non chalant about it, why should he care? He's a highschool mutt, mutt meaning he's taking 9th grade classes (again), 10th grade classes and 11th grade classes. Of course if he's late or cuts, he breaks probation, shall we take bets now???

difficult child II spent an hour putting his "outfit" together, refused to take a shower, and announced he is NOT taking the bus 2morrow to school (only BD nad Special Education kids take the bus), I figured I will wait until the morning to gfo to battle on that one.

Praying for a "stable" day 2morrow!

nite all

M

ML

Try to stay positive. This may just be the year things click into place and he gets on the right track. I know, from my mouth to ...... xo ML

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
ufffff

well the school didn't call me, that's a plus.

They both went and got there on time, another plus

difficult child II hates his class, teacher and the social worker already. He is a 6th grader, but because the "contained Behavior Disorder" class he is in has more 5th graders in it, they go to specials with the 5th graders, difficult child II feels this is unacceptable! I tried Occupational Therapist (OT) point out he will still have recess whereas the other 6th graders won't, but no dice, he's not buying in. He went to see the SW already, so this should be interesting to see how this plays out. They insist they can provide a "free and appropriate" education within the school's walls for him.

welp I am off to bed, pumpkin time for me

Andy

I am glad the day was ring free (telephone). I can understand difficult child II's disappointment - One year difference doesn't mean much to adults but when you are a 6th grader, you are SOOOOOO much older than those little 5th graders and it is embarrassing to do 5th grade activities.

Yesterday difficult child and I talked to his teacher about the need for tutoring (difficult child loves going to a private high school that offers tutoring to the younger crowd at night and in the summer). I carefully suggested reviewing the foundations and the teacher suggested reviewing last year's math. I put it to difficult child as, "You basically lost the 1st quarter of last year (pretty much was not at school much of the time) and the rest of the year was difficult to catch up, I think this will be helpful." I felt he was going to be so angry to go back one year - he was older now, he doesn't need to do 5th grade work. Fortunately, he went along with what I was saying. I was almost speechless over how willingly he is going along with this "set back".

School is all about going forward. Your difficult child is feeling left out of 6th grade activities if all that is available is 5th grade. What are the 6th graders doing during recess time? Can difficult child join their class for that time? He needs something to remind himself and others that he is in 6th grade. In our small school, we have 4th - 6th grade in one classroom and those 6th graders are so proud of having that position for the year.

I hope SW can figure this out so difficult child gets the best education and still feel that he is getting the same level of benefits bestowed on 6th graders.