self mutilating behavior

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
ugh, I am fried

difficult child II was biting his arms and hands today at school, he did not break skin, but the nurse called me, not the Social Worker (Big surprise). He also was scratching himself with a paper clip. They were alarmed as he was none verbal and catatonic with them, soomething they'd never seen, but I have plenty of times. He was fine when he came home, so I decided to just watch and see, I admitt it, I am too fried to sit through another emergency psychiatric evaluation right now, although I know it's emminent.

Monday we see the psychiatrist and hopefully she will add another mood stabilizer to his roster and I am thinking he should come off the Prozac, it seems to help in some ways but he's so manic right now I do not know what to think.

UGH, I need some wine:faint:

Sara PA

Self mutilation is a side effect of antidepressants for a lot of kids. My son isn't the only one who self mutilated only when he was on one.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Sending (((hugs)))

My family members didn't do well with Prozac. It could be making behaviors worse instead of better.

BusynMember

Prozac was hideous for both of my kids and for me. Was he always into self-mutilation and being spacey or just since he started the medications? If he was like this before, I'd take him to a NeruoPsych rather than a psychiatrist. It's very possible he has the wrong diagnosois, and NeuroPsychs are the most thorough. If this just started, I'd be suspicious of the Prozac.
Questions: Did you child have any speech delays when younger? Any other delays? Does he make good eye contact? Can he socialize appropriately? Does he have any "quirks?"

Marguerite

Two of my kids self-mutilated before ever being on antidepressants. easy child 2/difficult child 2 has only very recently started tryptanol (for her stomach problems) and difficult child 1 has been on Zoloft (varying doses) for about 8 years now. Neither self-mutilates now.

Marg

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
well he seems better today, no self inflicted wounds anyways. He is still very very manic. I am sad my neighbor next door is a single mom, and she is bi-polar, I just watched the police take her daughter away. Very sad, she has been very distant, I was wondering if she was having a hard time, but she's very private. This is why I get so depressed thinking of difficult child II's future.

sigh.....................

Sara PA

Two of my kids self-mutilated before ever being on antidepressants. easy child 2/difficult child 2 has only very recently started tryptanol (for her stomach problems) and difficult child 1 has been on Zoloft (varying doses) for about 8 years now. Neither self-mutilates now.

Marg
Yeah, that's the strange thing.....antidepressants are successfully used to treat some self mutilator yet it causes others to do it.

Taking drugs is a crapshoot.