Sometimes I think we are going to need a bigger couch...what's new with you?

S

Signorina

I think you are doing the right thing by investigating new treatments.

And I think you are REALLY doing the right thing by accepting that he has struggles in school and not defining him by his performance. I really admire that you will not trade his personality for a chance at better scholastics.

I have no experience with ADD but it seems to me that you have found a very good balance between being open to treatment and accepting as he is. That's really admirable and speaks volumes about you as a truly wonderful mom.

As for worrying that your difficult child's ADHD medications were her gateway into substance abuse which gives you hesitation about medications for your son?

Going away to college was my difficult child's gateway to SA...which makes me concerned about sending my easy child away.

We're moms-moms who are always wondering what we could have done differently to prevent our kids' SA. That's our normal-LOL-no apologies needed. It's part of what makes us good moms!

Last edited by a moderator:

Giulia

Yeah, he is not hyper AT ALL. difficult child was. I am trying to call doctors this morning to see if we can book him an appointment. I think I would feel better with non-stimulants and it is worth a shot to see if it will help him...but heck if any of them have answered a phone today!! :/

I cross my fingers for you and your son. Not very good at smileys but heart is still there as we say in France.

InsaneCdn

Heads-up... ADD (or ADHD inattentive type) vs. ADHD (hyperactive type) is not a split of symptoms that defines the medications used. I'm ADD, as is K2. K1 is more ADHD. All three of us are on stims. Our psychiatrist's take on things is that in general, stims are more effective in addressing various ADD/ADHD symptoms for most people... BUT it depends on the person.

Bigger issue is... if this medication isn't giving enough benefit, OR is giving too many negative side effects... it IS time to look at a different medication.