SSI question

L

Liahona

I've been thinking of applying for SSI for difficult child 1. husband has the question of will this impact his being able to get a job in the future. Do employers ask if you have received SSI? Is there a negative stigma for those who have received it (in that you won't get hired?)

I've been reading in the archives about it and right now its all as clear as mud. I'm having some one come over on Friday to help me fill out all the paper work.

Anything else I should ask or be wary of?

H

HaoZi

I want to say legally they can only ask about felonies, but I could be wrong. I've been kicking around the idea, too, so I'll also be interested in seeing responses.

DDD

difficult child#2 was a recipient for ten years (although we didn't know about it until the Gov't confronted his Mom for taking the funds while he lived with us..geez). There is a divison between juvenile and adult qualifications. I would bet all the money I have that there is no job application that asks about government funds. LOL! Don't get excited as I'm now on the downside of resources. As an adult it's possible that for other tax forms or subsidies you might have to reveal this status but I would imagine it is against the law to inquire for employment. DDD

DammitJanet

The only thing that being disabled can do is help you get a job...lol. Employers actually get federal subsidies for hiring the disabled. No, no one can ask if you receive SSI or SSDI. They can ask if you can lift so many pounds or if you have any medical disorders that make you ineligible to perform the duties but that is all.

T

TeDo

Let me know how it goes too. I have been SERIOUSLY thinking about applying for difficult child 1. He requires so much supervision, especially where difficult child 2 is involved, that I am not even looking for a job right now even though my unemployment has run out. We are "surviving" on my disability but I sure do miss some of the extra "luxuries" like McDonald's.

InsaneCdn

Ditto Janet. Just asking about a disability is considered discriminatory.

Unless it can be proven to be relevant to the job... if they can make being blind - or brain injured - a requirement for the job, they can ask about it... typically, only seen if they want someone to be a "mentor" to younger ones with the same problem... I worked for a company that would only hire someone who was "mentally slow" for the interoffice mail carrier job - they were challenged on that, but won... they had gone through SO many in the position, until they started hiring "mentally slow"... the best one ever was high-functioning Downs. The job was so boring that you had to be "slow" to enjoy doing it.

But taking FUNDING for disabilities? not an employment issue.