Study skills/IEP?

pepperidge

My son is going into HS. He will probably have one period a day of "study hall" --pullout time to do homework etc with aides and maybe some help from Special Education teacher. His proposed IEP says that they will teach him study skills, but isn't very specific. I am afraid that if we don't try to be more specific it will be hard to say whether or not the school is providing "specially designed instruction" in this area.

He has organizational challenges, doesn't know what it means to study for a test, has trouble taking notes while listening (so one of the accommodations is to be provided with classnotes), can do grade level work though has problems with very abstract things --especially science it seems. Average student, slow processing speed.

Anyone have any suggestions of where to look to find out how IEPs should be written in these areas?

Thanks

T

TeDo

I'm not sure how to write it in the IEP but I would at least have it in there that you be updated weekly? monthly? on the strategies they are working on and any progress or lack of. Usually IEP's have that reporting to parents will be done quarterly or less often, at least here they are. You can't really write the how's if you're not sure of the skills they are going to teach but you could have it that the objectives teach a specific study skill with the overall goal being to improve/learn study skills.

Sorry I can't be of much help. Maybe if I think about it more something will come to mind. I just know you don't want the language to be so restrictive that they are teaching something a certain way because it is written that way in the IEP.

JJJ

Student will improve ability to prepare for tests by utilizing: study guides, review sheets, flash cards, and notes.

Student will maintain a neat and orderly notebook organized by subject areas

The IEP would need to document his current level at the task and the goal level at the tasks.