Substitute teacher rant

KTMom91

Today was another of those days...the kids were fine, but the ADULTS needed to be slapped. It was raining at recess, and the principal came in so I could go to the restroom. I left the classroom, walked two doors down, through the staff room, into the nurse's office, finished my business, and was walking back through the staff room when I hear her on the walkie-talkie saying, "This sub is taking longer than anyone ever should!" Hello, I was gone maybe five minutes. There's been a lot of this happening this year, more so that any other year, with office managers, other teachers, and principals, acting like subs are second class citizens, and I'm ticked. Anyway, I wrote up an open letter, and I'd like to share it with you.

Office Managers: We are here to be of help. Please treat us politely. If you don’t recognize us, please take the time to let us know where the mailboxes, restrooms, etc. are located. If a key in needed for an auxiliary restroom, please make sure we have that key.

Teachers: We are here to be of help. We want to do a good job, and make sure the children have a good learning day. There are things we need to know that are second nature to you, so very often they are not included in lesson plans. We need to know whether we pick up the children from the blacktop, or if they come to the room. We need to know where on the blacktop to pick them up. We need to know your bathroom, water, and pencil sharpening policies. We need to know which student leaves for what pull-out program, and what time to expect them back. We need to know if anyone requires medication during the day, and those times. We need to know any modifications, behavioral or otherwise, that are in place for any of the students, in order to help them be successful in your absence.
Also, teachers, please keep in mind that most of us are credentialed, just like you are, and are substituting because it is the best fit for our circumstances. We would appreciate being treated with the same professional courtesy you show your other colleagues.

Principals: We are here to be of help. When we break one of your campus’ unwritten rules, it is not a personal insult. Every school is different, and there are over 30 elementary schools in the district. There is no possible way we can remember everything about every school. Also, principals, please keep in mind that most of us are credentialed, just like the other teachers on your staff, and we are substituting because it is the best fit for our circumstances. We would appreciate being treated with the same professional courtesy you show your staff.

I'm tempted to send this to the HR person in charge of subs. Unfortunately, I doubt it would be distributed to the schools, and that's where it needs to be.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I would definitely let the district office know about that rude and waaaay-less-than-professional behavior. Just because you didn't hear that to your face doesn't make it any less of a harrassment.