Suz....how's Rob?

DDD

I have you guys on my mind again this morning and realize I may have missed an update. If so, would you repeat the latest? Hugs. DDD

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Hi gals. Thanks for asking.

It is a slow go for Rob. They decided to drive back to Altoona for his followup care. The Trauma docs were so good there that I think it was a good decision.

He got his stitches out last week and saw the plastic surgeon about his nose. They are going to reconstruct his nose on 9/15. His speech is still slow and his vision is still blurry. He might have done permanent damage to his eyesight- they are waiting to see if having his nose re-done will somehow positively affect his vision.

Heather says he's cranky. I thanked Heather over and over. This must be almost as difficult for her as it is for Rob.

Suz

Last edited:

DammitJanet

I have been wondering how he was getting on myself.

When he says his vision is funky, what does he mean? I had the weirdest problem for months after I was sick. It was blurry vision but with a twist. It was like my vision was blurry but moreso after I got tired plus my vision was shakey. And it only got better for me if I closed one eye. So I would have to lay down and hold a towel or something over my face to keep one eye closed so I could watch tv. Eventually I just taped a patch over one eye from about noon onward because I knew that was when my eye was gonna go bad.

This got better after about two or three months and my vision has gone back to pretty much where it was though I do need to see the eye doctor because I think I need a stronger script but its been two years now since I have been.

The slowed speach is completely normal. I couldnt make a complete sentence in months...lol. I was like a baby. If you guys had actually spoken to me while I was in there...omg...you would have really noticed a huge gap. Remember that one little sentence post I did? That took everything I could manage and it was like a first grader wrote it!

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Thanks, Witz. I really appreciate Heather, too.

Janet, he says he can see fine out of each eye by itself but when he has both eyes looking at something it's fuzzy. He also doesn't have peripheral vision yet. Rob has never been good at describing anything anyway and with his language limitations right now, I'm not convinced these are the real problems but hopefully the docs can help him sort this all out.

Suz

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Suz, I had similiar visual problems with focussing my eyes for several months after a severe concussion.

It is actually quite common with TBIs and can take a long time to clear up.

I am wondering, if they think reconstructing his nose may help his vision, if there isn't some out of position bone by the eye sockets.

Here's hoping Rob's recovery continues to go well and quickly.

katya02

Solace
Sending best wishes for continued improvement and a complete recovery for Rob, Suz. And strength for you, and for Heather.

Nancy

Hi Suz, I've been thinking about you too and have been negligent in contacting you, but you and Rob are in my thoughts. Heather is a godsend that's for sure. I'm hoping that my difficult child someday has a "heather" in her life to help watch out for her.

I thought about you this past weekend too because I wore my jacket out to dinner when easy child and I took our shopping trip.

Hugs,
Nancy

mstang67chic

Going Green
I am wondering, if they think reconstructing his nose may help his vision, if there isn't some out of position bone by the eye sockets.

Here's hoping Rob's recovery continues to go well and quickly.

I was wondering that myself. My uncle had cancer in his sinus cavities a few years back and it affected his vision. Seems that the cancer (which is gone now by the way) ate at the bones either in his eye sockets or that area enough that his eyes literally moved just enough to affect his vision. With Rob having done a face plant, that could definately explain his vision issues. Once he gets the reconstruction done, he may not see the issues disappear completely, but I'd be willing to bet he will see a big difference.

I'm glad he's going for some after care. I know his recovery will take time but that can't be anything but good.

Take care of yourself! Hugs.

DDD

I'm glad you have confidence in the medical team. That really is important as the journey to recovery is a long one. We're coming up on the 4th and there has been slow incremental improvement during all those years.

in my humble opinion, Heather (bless her soul) should be asking about rehabilitation services for Rob. It is, in my humble opinion, the best way to be able to "measure" progress and also for the caregiver to get support and feedback.

So...how did "the girls" survive the tension, your absence, etc? Hugs, DDD

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and support.

I no longer have "the girls" :9-07tears: and it's very hard to remember to call them "pups" or "kids". Rufus will just have to get over it if I slip once in awhile. ;)

Chloe spent the time in a corner hiding and Rufus loved having all of the attention from the housesitter to himself. They haven't left my side since I got home.

Suz

DDD

"The pups" .... I'll have to adapt my vocabulary I did remember but ;)
I've never been good with names. Rufus, on the other hand, is a name I'm not likely to forget. :D DDD

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Suz

Been thinking about you and praying hard for you all. Glad to know Rob will recover. I haven't had much chance to catch up around here so was very glad to see this post cuz I've been awfully worried.

(((hugs)))

Suz,

Thanks for the update. I've been thinking about Rob too. I'm glad he has good doctors in Altoona! I hope everything goes well with the surgery on the 15th.

I'm continuing to keep Rob in my thoughts and prayers for as quick a recovery as possible.

Sending lots of hugs your way... SFR

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I know how much I worry about all of your kids...it's really quite wonderful that you also worry about mine.

Thank you so much. You are all THE. BEST. I mean it.

Suz