Thank goodness for tax refunds.....

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I finally finished my tax return on Saturday.... it's going to be more complex next year & the year to follow. Phew/whew

Between husband getting & keeping a good paying position over the last 3 years; the tax credit we got for adopting special needs kids (who knew?) & medical expenses I'll be getting a hefty refund this year.

Enough to pay almost all of this years mortgage payments.

I'm in the process of applying for disability (have an appointment with SSA next Monday); husband has some survivor benefits for the kids & possibly myself. If I receive survivor benefits than it would be because it pays more than disability (I can't & shouldn't have both).

Given all that, it's a blessing this is coming thru. I can hold onto the life insurance as long as possible as it has to last another who knows how many years.

Who knows if I'll be able to return to work ~ seems unlikely though I'd love to get back into my career.

B

butterflydreams

I think that is great. You sound like you have a good plan in place. Unfortunately for us, we didn't have life insurance, because husband wouldn't talk about it. Fortunately my work had a very small policy which I hadn't even known about and it paid for the arrangements.

The survivors benefits will continue until the kids are 18. If you receive survivors benefits, it will be until your youngest is 16. I don't receive the survivors benefits because even when husband died I made too much. But it has been helpful for the kids to receive it. They don't get much because my husband had a very poor work history, but something is better than nothing. I am looking at losing my daughters next year - she turns 17 in 3 weeks, I am nervous about losing it because I can't afford our current apartment without it. One of my paychecks is about $100 short of our rent so when our lease is up at the end of the year, it is time to figure out what to do.

crazymama30

I am glad you are getting a good refund. We got a decent one too, got a newer more fuel effecient vehicle (ok, not that much newer--only 2 years) and paid cash. husband's vehicle was on it's last legs. Pretty bad.

Crossing my fingers you get disability. You are deserving, and it would help.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
That's got to be a giant relief for you! I still need to finish ours. We've got money coming back, too, so I really need to get off my duff and do it!