The Verdict is in....

happymomof2

I lived through this morning - which is a good thing. I was so nervous.

My son is now on 6 months probation, with $182. restitution, court cost and 25 hours of community service.

The "ajudication was withheld" - whatever that means. Will call my attorney and get him to bring all this legalease terminology into regular english that I can understand. Or I can try and google it. However I paid them 1500 bucks I think the least they can do is explain it. As far as I know right now the felony stands.

Because of the felony and his prior behavior at school they may very well want to send him to "Bannerman" for the remainder of the school year. He's not going. If I have to pull him out and homeschool him or send him to a private school of some sort using his McKay scholarship I will.

All this will affect me going back to work which I was planning on doing after the first of the year. My husband has his own business but we were already in financial strains before I started taking care of mom in September. Add all these court cost etc... Not sure what we are going to do.

I just have to keep reminding myself to do what I can do today and that's all I can do. Taking care of my family comes first, keeping our vehicles and home is second. (which pretty much ties into the first) Other bills are just going to have to wait.

Thanks for all your support and prayers.

Catwmn

Just wanted to drop in and say (((Hugs)) Sorry I'm not much help...but I will keep you and your family in my thoughts.

Cat

TerryJ2

So sorry.
I don't know what Bannerman is. A spec. school for underage felons?
Best of luck ... I hope he can find some way of making his own $ ... maybe cut grass or something? Just to help?
Good luck.

meowbunny

Given the alternatives, I'd say he got a pretty good sentence. I agree that he should find a way to help pay his fines and court fees. If nothing else, what does he have he can sell? It is a good time for garage sales and selling things on eBay.

happymomof2

Oh, his dad has his own business so he can work him plenty. And it ain't filing paperwork!! It's hard labor. husband is a brick mason. Son will be laboring hard.

Bannerman is a school located about 45 minutes from where we live. He would catch a bus. Yes, it is for "delinquent" kids. Or kids that get in an extreme amount of trouble at regular school or with the law. Guess it's the next step before being expelled.

When he was first excepted in "Special Education" it was great for him. He was only 8. He realized he wasn't stupid and with more one on one help and attention he could learn. It's just when they get older, as in high school - sometimes even junior high - is when it (Special Education)can start to be a bad thing not necessarily good. Only because of the type of kids that are in there.

I know it's public school so they only have so much money, but I wish they could seperate the kids with more severe discipline problems from the ones that are having trouble with just focusing. But then again if that was the case he would have still been riding the same bus as these kids and still would have met them. :rolleyes: what do you do???

nvts

When you talk to the lawyer about the legaleeze, see if you can have input as to what type of Community Service he gets.

I don't know what your son did, but sometimes you can have the punishment fit the crime.

For example: dwi - lecture school age kids
vandalizm - fix it and clean it up
drugs - volunteer in an assisted living facility that houses comatose patients that ended up there due to drug use.

The last one really hits home.

I'm really happy that you got through this. I know you were terrified and am so glad that things worked out the way they did.

Beth

Fran

Former desparate mom
Glad you got through this.
It's unfortunate how much energy you end up putting into his consequence.
Hugs.

Star*

call 911........call 911
You got very lucky -

My son is 17, served 90+ days in jail, got 3 years probation and has to pay $6,000.00 in restitution, plus got 1,000 comm. serv. hours. If he gets one toe out of line for 3 years? He gets 6 in an adult jail.

-and believe me he's working like a dog at his community service job. They are making it as miserable as humanly possible.

Sorry you had to join the "FM" club (that's FelonMoms) - at least you aren't alone.

Hugs
Star

DDD

If adjudication was withheld it means that if he doesn't make any mistakes...the charges will not be shown as a felony conviction. The Department of Juvenile Justice people will provide him with a list of
options for doing community service hours. It is important to
make sure he does the hours from an approved location. Locally
one teen volunteered and served over 100 hours at a fire dept
near his home only to be told that none of the hours counted as
that was not a listed community service option. These guys play
hardball with the teens so in lieu of letting him handle the consequences alone, it is far more practical to read and review
all paperwork and instructions to make sure there is a complete
understanding.

I knew you would survive court. Warrior Moms always survive
until they are home alone in their room with the door closed.
DDD