The wonders of modern technology

Estherfromjerusalem

My difficult child has been in Australia for 6 months now. He is not doing all that well, cannot keep down a job, but somehow is making a go of it, doing a couple of days construction work here, selling in a bakery shop there. Because he is so far away, we got Skype on our computer, because that way we can talk and it doesn't cost anything, and also we can see one another, and it is really great. Two weeks ago, my grandson had a few days at home from the army in-between basic training and further training, and he came to visit us, and he put Skype into my mobile phone (I've got quite a modern one, most of which is wasted on me). I can receive calls or make them on the Skype on my mobile phone, but without seeing the picture.

This afternoon my husband and I went to visit one of our daughters who lives an hour's drive outside Jerusalem, because one of her children has pneumonia, so we went to visit. While we were there, Oriel (my difficult child) phoned, just as we were all sitting round the table, and everyone could hear what he was saying, and it was really lovely because he really does love his nieces and nephews, so he couldn't help but smile and laugh and be nice over the phone. Then he really wanted to talk to me in peace and quiet, so I went outside and we had a really good talk. Suddenly I heard a strange background noise just as he said "Mom, hang on, it's started to pour and I have to move some stuff out of the rain!" Then he came back and continued speaking to me. And all the time, from here in Israel, I could hear the rain pouring down in Australia! When you think about it, that is just amazing! It was 5 in the afternoon our time, so it must have been 1 in the morning Sydney time. I presume Marguerite can corroborate that information!!

As for difficult child himself, he hinted to me that he has been doing some thinking and he realizes that he has to "change his direction." I wasn't quite sure what he meant, so all I said to him was that he was lucky that he was born clever, handsome and sensitive, and that whatever he decided to do, he has our backing and our love. I didn't know what else to say to him, and I didn't want to spoil whatever possible good path he might have decided to take. I won't believe anything until after it has happened, since I have had my hopes dashed too many times. But I still do have a little bit of hope. I think just the fact that he went off to Australia on his own shows a lot of character and gumption.

Anyway, I was just so wowed about hearing the rain pouring down on the other side of the world, I thought I'd share it with you.

Love, Esther

Jody

Esther,

That is very cool. It must be pretty cool to be in Australia. I would love to see Jerusalem. I was sitting outside the other night and the moon was so big and pretty. It made me think of all the people who could see it at the same time I could, and the people who were just beginning their day as mine was ending. Sometimes I am just in my little world, and forget about all the wonderful things going on. Thank you for sharing!!!!

keista

Most EXCELLENT!

I too, adore technology. The other day in a Dr's waiting room, The Jetsons was on (old futuristic cartoon). It was just so mind-boggling to be reminded that a lot of 'fantasy technology' from my youth is now reality. Flat panel monitors that disappear into nowhere, video phones, computers as commonplace as TVs in the home, moving sidewalks, food that is cooked almost instantly. Just WOW!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I think what you said to difficult child was really the best thing you could have done. It does sound like he's growing up (finally) and coming to some realizations. Perhaps this trip to Australia was a blessing even though the job situation hasn't panned out as hoped. At some point we have to step back and let them sail on their own, regardless of where the winds take them or where they decide to navigate.