The word is ......

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I'm 47 and I came up with this goodie several years ago
I needed to buy some Portobello mushrooms for a dinner my LDH was cooking.

Not seeing them in the produce department, I called over the mgr and asked if they had any "Bordello Mushrooms"!! It was a coin toss as to whether LDH was going to fall off his walker or the produce mgr was going to plain fall over laughing.

Best part was, I had no idea what I'd actually said, nor why it was so funny!

F

flutterbee

:rofl: Too funny.

When difficult child was little, she always wanted the 'ankle part' of the bread. :smile:

DazedandConfused

Oh my, I'm "cracking" up at her crackpot comment!

I remember having one of those moments myself at KTs age. Us kids were sitting around the table while Mom started serving dinner. We all dug in (Dad was gone, working) and me being 13 got annoyed with just about everything my little sister, nine, did. Apparently, Sis was chewing too loud for my sensitive little ears. So, I made the snide comment that she chewed her food like a cow chewing it's "cud". However, I didn't say cud. Take away the "d" and replace it with "nt". Yep, that's what I said.

I have no idea why I did that. I think it just slipped. My Mom just STOPPED. Suddenly, I looked at her, gasped, and covered my mouth with my hand, and said, "I'm sorry, Mom, and didn't mean THAT word. I meant, 'cud'".

Then, it was my Moms turn to gasp while she asked with a very suprised tone, "You mean you KNOW what that word means????"

(I didn't have the heart to tell her that I had known what that word had meant for a couple of years at that point)

:rofl:

Marguerite

D&C, I didn't know what that word meant for many years. I'd never even heard the word. I really was very innocent. Then I learned the word through a book I was reading (Erica Jong, I think) and looked it up in a dictionary. So I picked up absolutely NO connotations that this was a swear word, I saw it as just a simple description of a part of the female anatomy (from the Old English Anglo-Saxon). Of course, I didn't use the word as a rule, I had more modern words to use, more scientific ones. I also by now recognised that t he word was often used as an insult, or a swear word (I didn't think it was a particularly bad one, though). But the occasional joke which relied on that word - I had no trouble telling. Otherwise, I had small children and as a rule, NEVER used swear words at work because it is just too difficult to NOT swear in front of the kids. Better to never swear at all.

One of my male co-workers would use that word around me constantly. I didn't react; by then I had heard is used as an insult, but then I'd also heard so many other words. So I figured, if he was OK to use that word he was OK to hear my joke (which is a funny one) so I told him.
He was horrified. "Do you know what that word means?"
"Of course I do," I told him. "It's referring to a woman's genital area. So what's wrong with that? You use the word all the time."
"Yeah, but I never thought I'd hear it from you. It's not right, hearing a woman use a word like that."

And he wondered why I laughed - why could a man use that word, especially as an insult, and a woman NOT use the word, merely as a word? I mean, it's MY anatomy, surely I can call it what I like?

And the other thing - the so-and-so was too busy being horrified at me, to even laugh at my joke. Mind you, by this stage a few others in the room were laughing.

Marg

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Marg...so long as we're on "women's anatomy and terms involving same", I don't know that DazednConfused would much appreciate being referred to as D&C!

I don't know if they use the term in Australia but here in the US it's the shorthand for a "dilation and curettage"...a procedure often performed when a woman's anatomy isn't working right.

Going North, I caught that too! Hilarious!!

LOVE the crackpot meal. And the ankle of the bread.

Copper used to say that she was going to give you a butthead (instead of a headbutt). She also wore "ear muffins" when it got cold out.

Marguerite

Apologies to any who may have been offended by the D&C reference - we have the same abbreviation but I didn't think it was likely to be a hassle. But yes... rather apt, considering what she & I were talking about! 'Twas a mere attempt at abbreviation...

Marg

Linda,

I have one more that I have to add - A few years ago, difficult child 2 had pecan pie for the first time. When he was done, he said "that was delicious pelican pie!" :hammer: :rofl: To this date, pecan pie has officially been renamed pelican pie in our house. Every time it is mentioned, everyone still bursts out in fits of laughter!!! :rofl: WFEN