There's now 2 of us with smaller brains!

F

flutterbee

The neurologist said I have some shrinkage (is that even a word) in the balance portion of my brain, though not sure why. He ordered blood work and checked Vitamin E and B-12 because I guess deficiencies in those can cause it. He did say I did good on the overall neurological examination and balance testing, even though I fell over 3 times doing the heel to toe walking.

Didn't do so well on the memory portion. I had to recall 3 words and I only got one.

He agrees with my regular doctor that I have some connective tissue disorders going on that's probably causing most of my problems. He said if that all comes back normal (when I see the rheumatologist), he'll be scratching his head.

In the meantime, he scheduled an EEG, an EMG (nerve conduction test), carotid artery ultrasound and a neuropsychologist evaluation.

I didn't tell him that I almost missed the road then got confused and went in the out section. Fortunately no cars were coming. :bag:

I am glad you got through the appointment relatively unscathed. I am further glad you got into the parking lot unscathed.

You have my sympathies & empathies with all the testing you have coming up. It is great when you finally get answers, but they sure are a pita. Lots of hugs, sweetie.

meowbunny

Sounds like you have a pretty good doctor. This must all be so frightening to you. I don't know all of the tests you're going to be taking but most sound pretty non-invasive. Let's hope the testing gets done soon and you get some real answers.

((((((HEATHER))))))

F

flutterbee

All the neurology testing should be done by March 7. The EEG is 1/22, the Carotid Doppler is 1/30 (same day as rheumy appointment), the neuropsychologist will be scheduled tomorrow but should be 2nd or 3rd week in Feb (don't know yet how much testing will be done) and the EMG will be with the follow up with the neurologist on 3/7. They are all non-invasive, so that's good. And the EEG is NOT sleep deprived, so that's even better.

Interesting. I wouldn't have known most of the terminology if it wasn't for this board.

I'm pretty sure the EEG and EMG are just to be thorough, as he thinks the nerve involvement is due to the suspected rheumatic activity. The Carotid Doppler is just a good idea because of my heart disease; makes stroke a risk factor for me. And the neuropsychologist is to pinpoint where my memory issues are which he still feels are connected to whatever else I have going on.

I did like him a lot. He trained at the Mayo Clinic and he was very polite and thorough. The staff was wonderful, too. I didn't sit in the waiting room for more than 5 minutes and I was a bit early for my appointment. Then he walked me over to his secretary who scheduled all of the appts right there.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Glad the first step is done. I hope this will take you down the path of what will be the answers you are looking for. Hugs. We'll be here through the journey.

Beth

Steely

I am so glad that the doctor was thorough and helpful. :smile: Sounds like you are on the right track for things getting resolved, or at least diagnosed. Keep us posted.

klmno

Sorry you have to go through all of this so fast, but I'm glad dr is being thorough and not dragging things out for several mos. Remember it's just a process to get to your answers- and I believe it will be ok and work out for the better for you!

F

flutterbee

So, I've been researching and it looks like vitamin E and B-12 deficiency could cause apraxia (coordination issues), but didn't see where it said anything about atrophy of the cerebellum (the section of the brain responsible for balance and coordination).

I did, however, find many references to Gerontology (don't think I qualify for that specialty, yet :wink: ) and severe alcoholism and I don't qualify for that and inhalant abuse - you know, paint thinner - and since I'm so super sensitive to things that smell GOOD, that's a no, too. :wink: Other than that, it looks linked to neurodegenerative disorders and I'm just not going to go there. It could just be a fluke. I'll tuck it away for future reference, but otherwise we'll see what the rheumy has to say.

In the meantime, I'm joining lots of new clubs. The Meanie Club. The Smaller Brain Club.

My social calendar is going to be booked. :smile:

Star*

call 911........call 911
Check out Systemic Lupus Erythamytosis (sp)

I'll keep looking - Glad you had a good visit!

Hugs
Star

DammitJanet

Heather...dont know if you remember but they linked low B12 as the only thing that they could possibly figure out as being a possible cause of Tony's stroke last May. Everything else came out fine with him.

I was shocked too considering we eat fried foods and he isnt exactly thin! I was expecting higher than normal cholesterol and maybe even elevated BiPolar (BP) but he was perfect! (There went all my arguments against eating fried fish)

As far as the tests go, I think they are being thorough. I think I had that same EMG which is nicer than the ENG. Mine was like little electrodes on my arms and legs and they sent shocks through them. I have heard of others that had tiny needles inserted and that sounds rather icky.

F

flutterbee

According to the pamphlet they gave me, EMG is with the little needles.

Star, thanks for the links. Supposedly, I've been tested for lupus by a regular doctor (though not my current one) and tested negative.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
You can join the we love ya club and hope you are doing well and will get better soon club!!!
What a lot!!! But at least it is movement forward... a start in hopefully the right direction.
It is better than what you have been doing...

nvts

Hey! Glad to hear it went well! I had an EMG. It was mildly uncomfortable but it didn't hurt. They used it to diagnose my carpal tunnel (it guages the severity). It isn't a biggee!

I know my brain shrank because I can hear it rattle in my head!

Beth

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Heather,

Glad to hear the appointment went well. by the way, I give myself vitamin b12 shots monthly.

This could tie in all the other stuff going on with you & you'll finally have some answers & a clear treatment path.

Keep us updated!

susiestar

Roll With It
Sounds like they are being pretty thorough. This is good. I have had 2 EMGs, though both were 7-10 years ago. Those pamphlets make it sound a lot nicer than it is. Be ready for it to be somewhat painful. For some people it really isn't bad. With my fibro, it really really stunk. I had hand problems as part of it, and they put the needles in the hand and then moved it or had me move it! This was the worst part. I am NOT a needle-phobic, by any means. I did hate the test though.

I hope they can pin down what is going on and help you feel better!

Hugs,

Susie