This Is Just Ridiculous!!!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I don't know how many of you have/or know of Aldi food stores. But they're a generic type store where you bag your own food and such and save a ton of money on mostly generic brands, and even some name brands. Their food/products were always good too.

Well, husband and I make the special trip to Aldi's. For us it's a 20 min drive to another town. But usually worth it in the vast amt of money saved on groceries.

Ten mins in the store and I was furious.

Their prices have jumped and are now more expensive than wallie world and Kroger's!! I couldn't believe it. I've been shopping at Aldi's for the past 20 yrs and paying at least half of what you'd pay at a normal supermarket for groceries. This place has enabled my family to eat well when we barely had money for food.

Now I know food prices are jumping up. But what's the point of a store like this if their prices aren't even competing with the main supermarkets?? grrrr.

So husband and I wasted all that gas cuz I walked right out of the store, drove back to town, went to wallie world and kroger and got 2 huge cart loads of groceries for 152.00.

Now I know why the store's parking lot was nearly empty on a sat at noon. (usually you stand in line for an hour)

husband and I'll save money on gas and do our shopping where it's cheaper here in town. It's just a real bummer when a store you counted on, that saw you thru some awfully tough times, suddenly isn't there to be counted on anymore. :frown:

Lothlorien

Two grocery carts full for $152? one grocery cart here is around $200 to $300. Gone are the days where our bill is $152.

There are Aldi Stores here, but I don't go because they don't generally carry the organic stuff or the stuff without colorings and corn syrups.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
That makes me sad. I haven't been to our aldi's since last tax rebate (we do a bulk stock up when we get our refund back) and then fill in with stuff from the others the rest f the year.

I might have to stroll in to see. I loved buying enough canned foood for months for under $100.

Beth

F

flutterbee

Lisa, if you can get 2 grocery shopping carts at $152.00 then I'm taking you shopping with me. I'm obviously doing something very, very wrong.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Seriously, $152 for TWO shopping carts full of food??

It is only H and me in the house and I spent $140 in groceries last week. We're not big eaters and honestly, I hardly have anything in my cabinets this week left! What magic are you working?

ps: The aldis here is about the same ride as yours and all they ever had is packaged :censored2:. I bought some stuff for easy child when she needed dorm food, but thier fresh, organic foods were sorely lacking - is that typical? (I did love all the canned foods for my pantry!!)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Lmao Heather.

I can't speak for aldi's organic stuff as I've never bought it. But I love their brownies, to the point that I've already asked easy child if she'll pick up a couple of boxes each payday on her way home from work. lol Best brownies you'll ever put into your mouth. But that's all I'll be getting there from now on.

I'll admit, I think I lucked out this week. Kroger's had one heck of a meat sale going on. And I know that helped cuz we were completely out of meat. All I do is look for the sales. And I buy generic brands when they're just as good as the name brands. And the majority of our meals I make from scratch, which is usually cheaper. I don't go for convience, it's too expensive.

And I'm lucky because all our food stores are along one main road, so going from one to another doesn't really cost me anything. lol

Jo, aldi's canned goods are good. And I used to love stocking up on them, especially for the winter months. But our aldi store is charging 60 cents a can for veggies! I just stocked up on name brand at kroger's for 50 cents a can! :smirk:

Different chain but maybe the same thing going on -- a friend of mine who is a groc. store department manager told me they have a four-tiered pricing structure depending on the distance to and prices at the nearest competitor. The store in our town was the only one in a largish area and has/had very high prices (we still often drive 5 or 10 extra miles for the "main" shopping). Then a Target opened up down the street, selling a lot of grocery stuff at slightly less. The prices weren't cut at the high-priced place but the price gap has narrowed, which tells me they are deferring price hikes in order to bring themselves closer in line now that they have competition.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is only H and me in the house and I spent $140 in groceries last week. We're not big eaters and honestly, I hardly have anything in my cabinets this week left! What magic are you working?</div></div>It is much more expensive per person to feed only one or two than a large family, I've noticed. I was away from home in a studio apt. during the week when I used to work contracts. My grocery bill for just me was almost as high as wife for her and easy child's 1 & 3.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HereWeGoAgain</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is only H and me in the house and I spent $140 in groceries last week. We're not big eaters and honestly, I hardly have anything in my cabinets this week left! What magic are you working?</div></div>It is much more expensive per person to feed only one or two than a large family, I've noticed. I was away from home in a studio apt. during the week when I used to work contracts. My grocery bill for just me was almost as high as wife for her and easy child's 1 & 3. </div></div>

Initially, I started making smaller meals as the girls grew up and began skipping meals. But, inevitably, someone would surprise us and come home, often with a friend! What I usually do is make a normal meal for 4 and then cut it in half and freeze the other half for another night. It works out well, especially since I've come to hate planning and cooking meals now that the girls aren't here. I buy less snacky foods and more organic produce, which may explain the higher grocery bill as well. It's outta hand!

Star*

call 911........call 911
I LOVE Kroger....have told DF to stop wasting time/money at Bi-Lo. We did a comparison shopping trip and got virtually the same things and the Kroger week was RIDICULOUSLY cheaper. DF was floored.

Soorryy for your loss...I know how it is when you someone messes with your shopping groove.

Hugs & Coupons
Star

susiestar

Roll With It
I want a Krogers!!!!!!!! I grew up in Cincinnati, where Krogers RULES!!!!! Many of my relatives and friends' parents worked for Krogers in different capacities.

We lived in Cincy again for 7 years, and I just got hooked again on them.

Here in OK we have 1 IGA, which is rinky dink, and rarely has much of interest. Then we have WalMart - 2 supercenters in a college town. NO IDEA who thought the 2nd one was a good idea - sales at both are in trouble now. We HAD an Albertsons, which was pretty good, esp for meat sales. But it just became a Food Pyramid and they have terrible store brands. More organic produce, and good meat, but unless it is reduced price meat I just can't afford them.

I want a Kroger!!!!!

Susie

Yikes.

I have to have Aldi. We have Jewel and Dominicks, and I think those are native to Chicago only. I cannot afford shopping there except for produce.

We do not have, nor have we ever had, a Krogers.

We have Meijer, just as of a couple years ago, but none close to me.

Sigh.

F

flutterbee

Kroger is ridiculously expensive. Even using my Kroger card, buying only what's on sale and using coupons I spend twice as much as I would at walmart. Of course, we have 3 Kroger's in our small town (within about 5 miles of each other...2 of them are only about 2 miles apart) and Walmart Super Center is about 20 minutes away. However, the service is better and the employees seem to like working for them. Not much turnover of the full time staff. As much as I like saving money at Walmart, I HATE shopping there. Everytime I'm in the store...whether it's the Super Center or our regular store...I say at least once how much I hate it.

And if you watch the sales you can get some really good bargains at Kroger. Last week, I got 5 pounds of chicken breast for $9.95. It would have been $27.00 before the sale. They'll have their peanut butter 10 for $10.00 and their half gallon milk 10 for $10.00 quite often.

2 huge cart loads of groceries for 152.00.

:bravo:

All I can say is WOW! In Canada, food prices are much higher. To fill my cupboards, fridge, and freezers normally will come in around $300 - $400 and there are only three of us in the home. To me, Canadian food prices are totally outrageous! You are very blessed to be paying such reasonable prices. I also noticed this summer while on vacation the pricing differences while in a Wal-Mart. It was in Idaho when I got a heaping cart full of clothes and goodies; the bill was $248. I was very impressed. In Canada I would have had to pay about $400-$500 for the same goods and the quality of our clothes here in Wal-Mart isn't nearly as good as you guys have. Well, that's my speech for now. I hope everyone has a wonderful day!

:cool-dog: